You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Help with PC selection

Lee Breedlove 1196677

Lee Breedlove 1196677
Posted
Posted

Hey guys! So, I need some help here. With the money I have from my tax return burning a hole in my pocket, I am going to upgrade my pc. Needless to say, my goal is to make my FSX look as beautiful as possible. So here's the situation.

First off. I understand that a desktop is the best thing to do for gaming

But please understand that I really enjoy portability and I am only going to get a laptop. Please don't comment with go with a desktop.

Okay, now that that's out of the way...

Here's my choices.

The first lappy's specs are the most attractive, however, it is so expensive I don't think I can afford it, even with my refund. But I have been surprised before...

it is:

Core i7 at 2.0 GHZ - 2.9 GHZ with Turbo Boost 8 Threads (4 Cores)

6 GBs of DDR3 RAM

1 Terrabyte (2 500 GB Harddrives)

Nvidia Geforce GTX 560M

The second more affordable laptop is:

Core i5 at 2.4 GHZ- 3.0 GHZ with Turbo Boost 4 Threads (2 Cores)

6 GBs of DDR3 RAM

640GB Haddrive

Nvida Geforce GTX 560M

Now as far as I understand FSX is more of a processor heavy game, but would the number of cores really make a difference? Aside from the number of cores, The i5 and the i7 vary little in speed.

Anyways, I thank everyone in advance!

--Lee

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

just to get it out of the way here's your obligatory desktop post.... you really should go with a desktop if you're planning on gaming... personally i think its a load of [Mod - lovely stuff]. laptops are quite fine for gaming so long as you have a secondary cooling source(cooling pad/s) and you're not cranking the graphics up past 11

you're going to see better performance out of the first one given that it has more cores so you can have more going on without as big of an impact. Aside from the processors and Hd the rest of the components are going to be pretty well the same.

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group