You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

I completely give up. New? Better eat your Wheaties...

Scott Freeze 1216960

Scott Freeze 1216960
Posted
Posted

Technology just beats me down. Total time flying on the network for a VA - 4.5 hours. Total time configuring software, reading forums, tweaking, testing, i.e. NOT FLYING - 98475692845762 hours.

This is ridiculous. My kids can sit and play on the XBox online all day no problems. For me to fly online just to learn radio communications requires a degree in software engineering. Why someone at Microsoft can't see what's going on here at Vatsim and simplify this whole process baffles me. Having to run 4 or 5 different programs along with FSX just to get online with radio comms and accurate weather makes me wanna slap Bill Gates. I've seen bits and pieces of the new Microsoft Flight and was totally let down.

I feel just as I did when I ran out of money to continue pursuing my PPL. Crushed and forced to sim, I bought FSX when it came out, even tho I knew my system was too low for it. Maxed it out, got bored, let it sit. Discovered Vatsim few years later, figured I then had a good enough system to join the fun, yet I am still 'grounded'. So far I've wasted months of time and hundreds of dollars.

Think you can figure it out? Here's my specs:

Acer Aspire AMD Athlon Dual Core 2.2 Ghz Windows 7 64-bit

4G RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

FSX, Level D 767, Active Sky 2012, Squawkbox 4 AND FSInn, VAFS5, unregistered FSUIPC

First off, I run and install EVERYTHING 'run as administrator'. Compatibility boxes 'always run as administrator' checked. UAC is off. Firewalls are off. Voice port on the router is forced open. Loopback adapter installed. All addons are executed outside of FSX.

FSInn won't give me reliable voice no matter what I do to the router. I hear one second of ATC, they hear me fine. Texting is not acceptable for me. The only thing I haven't done is byp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the router, but I need to have my cockpit mobile and not tied to where the internet comes in.

Squawkbox slows FSX to a crawl, freezes it mid-flight. I can't get to cruise altitude departing from KPDX. I've kept it in 2-D mode and not clicked any menus or out of FSX, still freezes. I'm not registering FSUIPC just to get the PTT on my yoke, and I absolutely cannot stand clicking out of FSX for anything.

I've tried BOTH UIautomationcore.dll fixes. I've searched all over my events log, just says FSX has an app hang, no faulting modules are listed whatsoever. I've applied and then replaced every fsx.CFG tweak in the book, nothing makes a difference. FSX ran fine by itself when I first started all this, now it just constantly stutters, fps rarely above 10 in normal operations, no matter where I put the sliders, and running all by itself.

So is my system STILL not good enough to run FSX? Will I have to go back to FS2004 on a 32-bit system? How many thousands of dollars will I have to spend on a high-end gaming computer before I can enjoy a simple learning supplement to radio comms? I might as well just sit on the ramp in the trainer at flight school with the radio on.

I'm mentally drained from reading forums, back on medication, about to hire someone to set this up.

I guess the next step for me is re-installing FSX in it's own directory which I'm not looking forward to, because I'm sure I'll have to re-install all the addons too.

Someone please make sense of all this, because I'd really love to get the most out of Vatsim, but not at the cost of my sanity.

vafs_status.php?cs=UPS1037&c=0&w=0

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Hi Scott, we have all been there at one point or the other. Two things that I can tell just by looking at the post is, yes, your system is a little underpowered, but not that you can't make it work, you would've to compromise a bit.

The second thing is, you only need either sqkbox or fsinn, you don't need both. Launch only one, try which one is better for you. There are tons of posts in these forums here providing facts on both, and it comes down to personal preference and what works for you. Since you have both, give them a try, but one at a time. I have heard fsinn, which is what I use by the way, is more process intensive, so maybe, give sqkbox 4 a chance before you try fsinn.

Today's computers are very powerful and much cheaper and a laptop around $800USD can very well run FSX in a decent config with the add-ons you have. But before you consider all that, try these changes first. Also reduce the display, get it stable and then you slowly bring the performance up.

Make it work, make it right, make it better, as the saying goes. Good luck

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Scott Freeze 1216960
Posted
Posted

Thanx for the reply, and yes, I forgot. I do run SB and FSInn separately. FSInn was first, then I tried SB. Funny FSinn didn't seem to suck the CPU as much as SB does. And yes, I do run my system settings as low as possible for performance, but apparently not low enough. And this system is an $800 dollar laptop.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Oh darn... guess you did all you could as you mentioned. Btw, FS2004 runs very well on Win 7 64, you do the same setup as FSX. Of course, you will need a separate set of add-ons for FS9, to me, it wasn't worth the investment as I had done too much FSX investment and with FSL and NGX I stayed on FSX, even at 10fps.

What I mean by $800 laptop would be in the current market...my 1.3 MP camera of yester years costs 3 times more than my current 11MP point and shoot yay for tech.

I didn't see you mention this, but if you already haven't, go to http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html. Backup your fsx.cfg, follow the onscreen prompt and just try and use it. It does some tuning for you. It also maintains a backup of your fsx.cfg after tweaking it and gives you a link, but you better keep one for yourself too.

I know, one more website, but atleast, this one auto-tunes, you don't have to do it yourself.

If you choose to give up and go back to fsx re-install, let me recommend a link on simflight.com by one Nick, whose settings I follow for tuning up fsx, long one, but he does a great job at explaining, of course, this is [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you haven't come across that in your...er...I don't what you call that many hrs of research yet.

Scott Freeze 1216960
Posted
Posted

well, I definitely commend 'bojote' on making a program like that, he previously just resorted to posting two versions of his .CFG, which I've copied and tried. Nonetheless I will give it a try, because my last resort is a re-install. The saga continues...

Connor O'Brien 1202523
Posted
Posted

I would recommend X-Plane 9. It's $29 USD (XP-10 is $79) and from the looks of it, a lot simpler to use. No out side programs are needed to connect to VATSIM, just put Xsquakbox in your plugins folder and your good to go. Real weather is built into X-Plane and a lot of other things that don't come to mind at the moment.

I'm not saying give up on FSX, its a great program and I wish I had it at some points. Just another option.

Now about your freezes and unreadable voice transmission. I do not think that has to do with FSX (at least not all of it). It probably has to do with your internet provider. I have the exact same problems as you described, if not a little more. I have AT&T U-verse and they straight up suck. It's funny because I can connect to Xbox Live with no problem, but anything that has a built in WiFi can't get a steady connection if "it's life depended on it". When I fly on VATSIM I can't have anything open on my computer except for X-Plane. If there are to many webpages/programs open it slows the connection and the computer. Which might be why your freezing up. Now, I don't know too much about FSX but from what I've heard a lot of add-ons for FSX are separate programs or not entirely part of FSX (correct me if I'm wrong), I'm not really sure how to describe it. Again, all add-ons are installed into X-Plane, which helps because my computer doesn't have to "work" as hard because all it is doing is focusing on X-Plane.

Just a though of mine and hope it helps out a little because I know how you feel,

Connor

ZJX I1 - Deputy Air Traffic Manager

VATSIM Supervisor

Louisiana Tech University Professional Aviation Major

Real World Pilot

Scott Freeze 1216960
Posted
Posted

I have been at the FSX/X-Plane crossroads, and had I read these forums more in-depth, I definitely would've gone the X-Plane route. I've seen some youtube vids and X-Plane looks like a heavy contender. I think I was just afraid of learning a whole new sim OS, on top of learning how to IFR an airliner properly on Vatsim.

Unfortunately I learned I went down the wrong path the hard way. I've invested in a Level D 767 which I absolutely am obsessed with. Just picked up Active Sky 2012 as well, no complaints there. Took it even further and joined a UPS VA, as I love the idea of flying cargo on airliners (human p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers can be annoying, as I know I have been with the way RW airlines are nowadays). Now I'm stuck at KPDX with a stuttering FSX, with no rescue in sight.

My internet connection is DSL with CenturyLink, no worries, and I'm sure if I byp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] my router my comms issues won't exist. Setting up my cockpit around where the internet comes in is not the best option for me, but if I wanna get somewhere on Vatsim, I gotta do what I gotta do.

So I guess my options now are to re-install FSX and all the addons (yuck). Or work some overtime at my job and start over with X-Plane. Off to do some more research....

Scott Freeze 1216960
Posted
Posted

Oops, forgot. Charan, can I get that simflight.com link by Nick?

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Sure, here ya go:

the first one is just informational, use it as a reference or for experimentation, second one's Nick's.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/fsx-tweaks-demystified_topic37948.html

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041

Cheers!!

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Scott

Now don't get upset here when I say this, but, laptops are never ever going to be as good as a desktop pc.

So on that basis your system is pushing it a little when it comes to some of your addons. Your problem areas are going to be FSX and Active Sky 2012 but mor eof those later.

FSX can run on your machine quite easily but you need to look at your settings and get those right. GFX cards in laptops are generally cut down versions of there desktop counterparts and so not always upto snuff as they say. In my personal opinion you will get better results with FSinn than squawkbox and so I will discuss that also.

Try running FSX without active sky weather, this will decrease the load on your laptop.

Your flying the leveld767 so you dont need m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es of scenery etc so reduce your sliders in settings to the left.

Fsinn make sure the weather redraw is set to the maximum not the every 5seconds setting by deafault, also adjust the multiplayer range down to a respectable distance say 20nm, Adjust the number of multiplayer aircraft dawn down to about ten, its extremely rare that you will see more than ten aircraft around you anyway.

What Iw ll suggest is to delete Squawkbox and fsinn make sure there is no record of either of them anywhere on your system and then redownload Fsinn and Fscopilot making sure you have the correct versions link here http://www.vatsim.net/pilots/pilotsclients/fsinn/fsinn-install/

I and others have installed Fsinn countless times for members and had them up and running within 5 mins from download to connection on VATSIM. So for you to have this kind of trouble suggest you have missed something quite fundemental, hopefully we will get this sorted.

You mentioned that you have a need for your cockpit to be mobile, I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming that you mean that you run all this wirelessly.

Finally can I say that placing a random post in this section is not going to get you the specific help you need, its always better to post in the relevant section this would illicit far greater resposnes in the FSinn tboard or squawkbox board.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Robert Bressert
Posted
Posted

Scott,

As far as the voice problem, check out the link below:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=56587

Scott Freeze 1216960
Posted
Posted

Wycliffe, it's ok. I realize I'm pushing the limits of the laptop. My desktop PC is older and slower. I can't tie my cockpit to where the internet comes in. Guess I just gotta face facts and upgrade.

But new folks should be more aware of what they're getting into. The minimum specs required to operate all these programs should be raised to the recommended ones, and I realize that will turn some away, but it's better than wasting time and dollars banging your head against a wall trying to diagnose the elusive problem that your system just ain't up to par!

Every single program/addon/payware we use on Vatsim has its own forum. Thousands of disgruntled folks who just wanna fly, but are held down by the limitations of technology. Seems about 80% of the forums are just people having problems. We never hear about the people NOT having problems, because then there's little reason for them to get on the forums, aside from posting events and chitchat.

I dunno, it's just frustrating when you think you got it figured out, and then a setback puts you back to square one. You see all sorts of roads you should've gone down, and you realize you've wasted your time. Ah well, such is life.

I'll get on here in a stable manner one way or another, just takes time, patience, and knowledge (money helps too). In my area, it costs around $6000 for a PPL. You can't tell me that the true hardcores on here didn't spend at least half that towards simming. With laptop included, I know I've spent around $1500 total on simming, and around $2000 towards my PPL. And I STILL can't get online in a stable manner just to practice radio comms and have some fun with a VA. This whole flying addiction of mine really slams my wallet, but I guess any other addiction would do the same.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

throwing money at the problem never solves anything. thats definitely the wrong way to go.

i know folks who spent over $30,000 on their replica home cockpits, does that mean they wont suffer from the same issues as the normal casual users? not at all.

i would highly recommend starting clean. remember, all that extra stuff you do not need to fly on VATSIM. they are great addons, but they are not required to fly on VATSIM. all that is required to fly on VATSIM is your simulator and the pilot client, thats it.

so start there. then start adding your addons slowly, you'll find whats causing you issues.

and yes unfortunately it is the nature of the beast when it comes to simming, or really using any type of software, that you WILL have to do some troubleshooting at one time or another. theres no way around that one, you can have the best system in the world, but you will eventually have to troubleshoot. now if you are spending more time troubleshooting then actually enjoying the game/sim/whatever it is, that should be a clue that either you are doing something wrong or something is seriously wrong with laptop/pc, whether it be sub par spec's, etc... thats just beyond what can be considered normal

if you use a Win7 64bit system, some folks also recommend installing flightsim and your addons outside of the program files folder. seems to resolve a lot of woe's with many users who do that

Scott Freeze 1216960
Posted
Posted

Totally agree about the FSX install. Working on that one...

The money I've spent on simming was all spent BEFORE I had any problems. I haven't really thrown any money at all at my problem at all. I just wanna make sure that an actual PPL is more expensive than any learning supplement to acquire it, which is how it should be. It's also in my favor that the programs needed to get online are free. The paywares were a perk of course, totally not necessary but they were worth the money, whether I use them on Vatsim or not. It's just a matter of how serious you wanna get with it, and to some people that means breaking the bank, but not me. Spending half the amount of money you could pick up an actual plane for is a bit on the outside IMO.

I shall grudgingly keep on tho, I know there's folks out there enjoying Vatsim on systems weaker than mine; I just have to clean it up and streamline as you say. So what are YOUR current specs, by the way, if you don't mind posting?You've obviously helped out a great number of people on here, and you've been a member for awhile, I'm just curious as to what the hardcores use..and don't worry, I won't take anything you use as an endorsement or anything; I realize everyone has their own likes or dislikes, just wanted some insight as reference....

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Scott

Ok here goes these are my pc specs

Master PC

Intel i5 2500k Sandybridge CPU

ASus mobo

8gig DDR3 ram

Ati hd5770 gfx 1gig onboard ram

2x300 gig sata hard drives

1x120 gig ide hard drive

1x 500 gig external hard drive

Slave PC

Dell Inspiron

120 gig hd

onboard gfx

Saitek x52 pro flight controller

Saitek rudder pedals

Track ir with clip pro

Plantronics audio 995 wireless headset

FSX sp2

Horizon/playsim gene photo scenery uk

Level d 767

Pmdg 737

Pmdg md11

Pmdg747

Rex

Aivlasoft EFB

Vatsim member using Fsinn a spilt client

Euroscope for ATC

3 monitors networked via the master pc and a second pc

windows 7 on main c drive FSX and all addons are housed on the second 300 gig drive, this help enormously and I have only recently defregged that drive after approx 8months of flight sim use. Only 10% needed defragging, it all be ing on one dedicated drive keeps all the files nice and neat.

Obviously I didn't buy all this in one go and birthday presents and Christmas presents really help.

I run my sim at a locked 30 fps and I get 30 fps in all environments which means smooth and stutter free flight.

Take in mind what Ernest's said, I bought fsx on day of release my pc then was somewhat underpowered but it ran fsx at 15fps and I was online using Fsinn flying the default aircraft. So it is possible.

Wycliffe

Edited by Guest

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

nothing special on my end. i use my laptop for FSINN and PC for FS9.

Laptop is a Compaq Presario

Intel Pentium® M 1.6ghz

Mobile Intel 915GM chipset fam (video)

Win XP SP2 (32bit) (cant seem to upgrade to SP3 after my recent reformat, still tryin to figure that one out)

2GB RAM

PC was built with second hand parts except for the hard drive which i got off of new egg a few months ago after my old hard drive kicked the bucket.i used an old NEC PC case to house everything and modified the case a little to fit more fans.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.12ghz

4GB RAM (32bit seems to only recognize 3.25gb)

Win XP SP3 (32bit)

ATI Radeon HD 3200 (hopefully upgrade that this year, she plays good, but it needs more power! )

1TB SATA Hard drive. had a second drive but it died ive barely touched this 1TB's capacity tho!

not looking to upgrade to Win7 anytime soon. Win XP has been very stable for me, altho if i had the chance i'd switch to 64bit so i can get rid of some of the Out of Memory issues with some of my addons that have memory leak issues.

Addon's, lets just say i've invested heavily over the years in FS9 and have also won a few from events and other competitions I may buy FSX soon, especially since i found out PMDG is making a DC-6 if there were to be any reason for me to get FSX, thatd be it heheeh. was planning on getting XP10 but way to expensive for me at the moment, im just a poor college student if i switch my major soon, i may finally have the chance to do some flyin next semester still workin that one out.