You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Need a video card recommendation for FS9 for an older comput

Kevin Rush 1212482

Kevin Rush 1212482
Posted
Posted

I know this kind of stuff gets asked a million times over but, I'm a lost ball in the tall weeds. So much of the video card info I find is for the latest and greatest, which I don't have.

I need a video card to add on to my computer so I don't have to use the onboard nVidia MCP6 for FS9.

Running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate with an AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core Processor 5000+ 2.6GHz with 6gb RAM. Raptor hard drives.

Some PMDG payware, Opensky. Eventually want to improve my scenery with some payware mesh, etc. I may want to do dual monitors in the future. The computer is multi-use and not dedicated to gaming.

I don't have a problem with having to go with a new old stock, used card or eBay, if necessary. I would just like to get the best card for the current setup, however, the bottom line is that I obviously don't want more card than the processor can handle. But, I simply don't know what that is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd rather fly airplanes but, I have to work for a living - Ol'Kev

zfwartcc2.jpg

ZFW ARTCC

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted

I would just buy as fast a card as you can afford at the moment.

That might mean you do not have to shell out again for a new card when you

upgrade the processor or mainboard or both.

Having said that, I run a processor that is slightly faster as yours (5600+)

and coupled with a GF 430 budget card I even get pretty satisfactory results

in FSX.

I mean this doesn't look all thát bad I would say :

ferry.jpg

f1cert.gif

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

have to echo Tom. Get a decent card now that will last you if you're planning on upgrading your CPU and mobo and Ram so you're not stuck with an underpowered card later.

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

• 1 year later...
Lawrence Coleman 1262647
Posted
Posted

Find out what type of video slot you have! If your machine is old u may have an AGP slot. Which is NOT compatible with the PCI-E stuff currently on the market. Also- your power supply must be capable of supplying the thing. In addition to everything else. A quality PSU is the heart of a capable system.