You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Here is how you record ATC and your voice for videos.

Mark Wolpert

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

After much experimentation I have finally figured out how to record the best possible sound for videos while flying on the Vatsim network. Some history here, A few years ago, I recorded a few instructional videos for pilots on behalf of my FIR. The recording was done using the program Audacity (freeware) and things worked out quite well. Recently I recorded a video for pilots on flying the Concorde and for the life of me could not get the recording to work and when I eventually did (using a complex setup with "Virtual Cable") it sounded terrible. Since the first video I had moved to a new computer and a new USB headset.

After much investigation, I have learned that if you try to record what you hear using a USB headset, it either does not work, or does not work very well. I have just recently purchased an analogue headset/mic (unfortunately could not find my old one) and bam, it works great again. Hopefully this will help others who are trying to figure this out. btw, I found a cheap headset on Ebay for $12 and for the limited recording I do for videos this will do the job.

tags: "What you hear", voice recording, recording, USB Headset recording.

847924.png

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

So, virtual cable is the solution? I'm using an analogue Logitech headset, I tried Mixer, no luck. I'm starting to think its a Windows 8 issue. It won't record unless I set Mixer the default recording device.

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp