You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSInn or Squawkbox?

Kumail Pirzada 1268076

Kumail Pirzada 1268076
Posted
Posted

Okay well I've heard a lot about both softwares.. I use squawkbox but I haven't tried FSInn yet.. is it good?

Which one do you prefer? FSInn or Squawkbox? Especially for a newbie pilot like myself..

Flight Simulator Newbie

Kumail Pirzada

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

There are several threads buried in here on the same topic. Both have strengths and weaknesses. Most people like what they use (well enough to keep using it). Just like most things, most people decide they like one and stay with it because they get used to it). My impression from reading over the years is that SB is easier to set up vs. FSINN model matching takes quite a bit of tweaking to set up but once people invest the time in tweaking it, FSInn model matching may have an edge over SB. I guess it depends on what's more important to you -- ease of setup vs. more accurate model matching. There will likely be many, many opinions on the subject. Most have already been put on this forum, but this post will likely invite more.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

i always recommend just grabbing both and making up ones own mind. you can have both installed with no issues, i pretty much use them randomly myself depending on what im doing. i find one is better for events then the other with my setup

Kumail Pirzada 1268076
Posted
Posted

Alright.. I guess since I'm a beginner i'll stick with squawkbox for a while.

Flight Simulator Newbie

Kumail Pirzada

Marko Milivojevic 1263557
Posted
Posted

I have tried both, but in the end settled with FSINN. I have the impression it's less heavy on my machine and I like the used interface better than SB.

That said, I still don't have model matching working to my liking. Just two days ago I was flying next to what I thought was a 737-800, but it turned out to be MD11. With the onslaught of 777-200ERs showing up these days that show up as 737-800s (my default model for unmatched airliner), I just may need to revisit this.

The problem is it that all, relatively, up-to-date instructions were lost on a the Big Forum Bang.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

Marko, regarding the 777's, not much you can do as youll notice many of them so far show as ZZZZ in your PLA window. thats on their end.

also, the ICAO code B77L isnt accepted by default by FSINN, has to be manually added

this years CTP event is going to be interesting for sure

Tim Wong
Posted
Posted
Alright.. I guess since I'm a beginner i'll stick with squawkbox for a while.

Yep fully agree. For beginners Squawkbox is usually much easier to install and to configure than FSInn.

Do you want your Virtual Airline to become an official partner on VATSIM or to participate in the VAA Program?
Visit https://www.vatsim.net/pilots/virtual-airlines

Tim Wong
Director of Virtual Airline Relations
VATSIM.net Virtual Airlines and Special Operations Administration
9KMxVhG.png