You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Thank you, Boston Center!

John Hampton 1264149

John Hampton 1264149
Posted
Posted

I was on this evening on a flight from KBOS to KJFK. As a newbie I expect things to go wrong for me so I wanted to say thank you to the Boston Center controller who was on this evening and was very helpful!

You see, after I got my clearance, I picked up my chart to take a look at where I had to taxi, set it down and begin to taxi. My graphics became jumbled and taxiways were moving and soon everything became a big blur. Couldn't tell runways from taxiways. I offered to just cancel my intentions and shut her down but the controller advised there was little traffic in the area so I could takeoff from 'any runway I could find'. I found one, lined up on it; and the controller advised me that I was 550 yards from the runway I thought I was on. In a good mood I suppose he said "Go for it".

So I replied, "Cleared to go for it, 0DS".

Anyway, after taking off my graphics became choppier, and FSX finally crashed. Didn't get anywhere.

But I finally found the root cause of the problem; along with garbled comms and all the other issues I was having.

You see, when I set my chart down, I set it right down on top of my keyboard (which gets put up on my desk, I don't use it for anything in FSX other than filing the flight plan!); mashing a bunch of buttons and holding them down

Note to self; add to "before taxi" checklist: Check keyboard free and clear of obstructions.

Anyway, thanks for the help and patience Boston Center! (Didn't grab the controllers name, though!)

UAL159.png

UAL159 John Hampton, First Officer - Bombardier Dash 8 Q400

Kim Hanson 1229492
Posted
Posted

As a carpenter, I know what you mean. Sometimes I leave my thumb in the way of the hammer head.

Patrik Yngver
Posted
Posted
As a carpenter, I know what you mean. Sometimes I leave my thumb in the way of the hammer head.

I'm so glad there's no IT equivalent for that! I would catch so many viruses... =}

Patrik Yngvér

VATSIM Thailand vACC Deputy Director

C3 ENR Controller

ESNO, Sweden

spacer.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

John, you are very welcome! Glad you were able to find the issue.

It was fun. Unfortunately, M[Mod - Happy Thoughts]port will be sending you a bill for $18,432.69 for the damage done to the airport lighting, signage and gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts], and removing the remains of that poor bunny in between K and E taxiways.... Thank you for causing all the damage; in this economy, it's the only way the airport upgrade and beautification program gets funded!

Seriously, though, you are welcome, always happy to help, glad you found the issue, and hope to see you around again.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

John Hampton 1264149
Posted
Posted
John, you are very welcome! Glad you were able to find the issue.

It was fun. Unfortunately, M[Mod - Happy Thoughts]port will be sending you a bill for $18,432.69 for the damage done to the airport lighting, signage and gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts], and removing the remains of that poor bunny in between K and E taxiways.... Thank you for causing all the damage; in this economy, it's the only way the airport upgrade and beautification program gets funded!

Seriously, though, you are welcome, always happy to help, glad you found the issue, and hope to see you around again.

Well the plane was in a left turn at about 3,000 feet when FSX crashed and I imagine if the autopilot decided to turn itself on it's run out of fuel by now. Can't imagine what damage that might've caused!

So if you see a banged up blue and silver Beechcraft Duke Turboprop with the tail number N710DS? It wasn't me.

UAL159.png

UAL159 John Hampton, First Officer - Bombardier Dash 8 Q400

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Nah, I meant the "interesting" way the taxi route and takeoff roll looked on the airport map. Just havin' some fun.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations