You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

REX Essential textures....

Wes Patrick 1202973

Wes Patrick 1202973
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I'm having a complete reinstall of everything in order to make a nice, lean, smoothly running sim. The old one was full of bits and bobs left behind from various addons.

So as I reinstall each stage I'm running FSX again to see how the new addon has affected performance, etc... and deciding if it's actually worth keeping.

When it comes to REX , which I've been running for a couple of years without really thinking about it, where does it actually install the textures to?

It takes it about 10 minutes to do it's "installing textures to fsx".... but the only thing that I can see has changed is a handful of cloud textures in the c:\fsx\textures folder.

If it's supposed to be installing runway textures, taxiways, skies, waterways, snow, etc, etc.... in fact a whole environment "theme".... where is it all?

As an aside, I'm going to make another post detailing the entire installation process, all the tweaks and addons, showing how frame rates and loading times changed along the way. Some of it is pretty surprising to me so maybe others will find it useful too.

Duarte  Folgado 1106197
Posted
Posted

Hello Wes,

Indeed, in fact when you use REX you are improving the default textures of FS. In a normal, basic and default way REX will update the "whole theme".

At least in REX Essential+ in the Textures tab, you can see apart from Cloud modification also runway, wave, airport environment etc.

One hint, you can check that after REX install the first thing you will probably notice will be the colour of the sky. Also, when testing over a payware scenery, this last one will use the runway and apron textures that come to the scenery. For a full check if REX is making effect test it under a default scenery.

Before installing textures make sure you have all the optimization manager tuned up into you end.

Duarte

Duarte Folgado

Instructor (I1) & Certified Pilot (P4)

Lisboa FIR Director (ACCPT3)

Portugal vACC -VATEUD - VATSIM

2.png1106197.png