You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Win 8.1 - Firewall Off - DMZ - Still No VRC

Steven Perry

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

After turning off the Windows Firewall and putting my PC in the router's DMZ, I cannot get VRC to retrieve a server list or start the voice engine. What else can I do?

I had everything running fine on Win 8. I did a fresh install with Win 8.1. The problems started then.

The router is not likely the problem since I was running fine before without any custom rules. To be sure, I forwarded ports (TCP 6809 3782 8080, UDP 3290) to my machine. That didn't work, so I placed my machine in the DMZ. Restarted PC. Still nothing.

I verified the Windows Firewall was allowing access to VRC. It was. I turned off the Windows firewall. No luck.

So, I'm in the DMZ and Windows Firewall is off and I cannot get VRC to retrieve the server list or initialize the voice engine.

FSInn voice works no problemo.

No 3rd party antivirus or additional firewall beyond Windows default firewall.

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

Resolved own problem. Posted here for anyone else that may benefit.

Using an ATT U-verse branded 2wire router.

1) [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign PC a static IP

2) rebuild port forwarding rules (AFTER [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igning static IP and confirming IP that this IP has been [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned)

Potentially related... not sure, but it would make sense:

3) plug the microphone/headset in which is [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned in VRC settings.

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor