You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New Pilot Joining the Skies

Albert Przylucki 1273965

Albert Przylucki 1273965
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

I've been into aviation as a hobby for the past 5 years. Now that I've got some money to expand my hobby, I'm looking into getting to the online portion of FSX.

For now, I'd just like to get a feel for what the community is like. I'm aware that the ideal situation is to simulate real flying as closely as possible, but for rookies such as myself who are just beginning to get into the more realistic parts of virtual flying, what should I expect?

I guess what I'm asking is the following:

- Who can I turn to for training? I'd like to start with single-engine props, and work my way up, just like the actual career. Learn the realistic parts of flying, one step at a time.

- Are you guys strict, as in, "You should already know this " attitude, or are there any at-ease "Don't worry, we'll teach you " kind of people out there as well?

Pardon if my questions seem a bit unusual, but all this online stuff with FSX is rather new to me. Just a year ago I thought almost nobody was into aviation!

Thanks!

Colin Schoen
Posted
Posted

Welcome to VATSIM

I am thrilled that you are willing to start small then go big! You tend to understand quite a bit more when you go that route compared to hopping in a 777 and typing away at the FMC the first day. Here are a couple options for pilot training:

- VATSIM Pilot Certs http://www.vatsim.net/pilots/ptd/

- ZLA Pilot Certs http://pilotcerts.laartcc.org/page/Home

We expect you to know the basics and able to respond and comply with ATC instructions as well as navigate your aircraft. I would recommend not spawning up at a major field, but rather some smaller, controlled field where the workload is not as heavy for the controller.

Colin Schoen

VATSIM Senior Network Supervisor

Albert Przylucki 1273965
Posted
Posted

Thanks Colin for the quick reply,

Alright, so I'll have to go through the training with one of the ATOs. I've chosen Canadian Xpress. I guess that in summary: I contact them, they'll train me, and it's up to me to read up on as much training material as I can?

Thanks.

Colin Schoen
Posted
Posted

I am afraid you will have to contact them to find the specific procedures, but you seem to have the right idea.

Colin Schoen

VATSIM Senior Network Supervisor

• 3 weeks later...
Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted
Thanks Colin for the quick reply,

Alright, so I'll have to go through the training with one of the ATOs. I've chosen Canadian Xpress. I guess that in summary: I contact them, they'll train me, and it's up to me to read up on as much training material as I can?

Thanks.

Hi Albert,

Once you have joined, you can go to the training section on our web site and request online training where an instructor will help you get started flying on the VATSIM network.

Regards,

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3