You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Best way to get started

Scott McElroy 1274068

Scott McElroy 1274068
Posted
Posted

Can someone tell me (a newbie) how to get tech support for connecting to Vatsim using X-plane on my Mac? I connect with my XSquawkbox plugin and click "Show Who's Online" the box opens and stays empty. I've tried locating at KBOS & KJFK but get the same results….

I'll admit I'm in over my head - can anyone walk me through it?

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Have you used something such as VAT-Spy or VATTASTIC to verify there actually was ATC coverage at the location you connected?

Scott McElroy 1274068
Posted
Posted

Thanks! I was having trouble getting one of these to work with my Mac - not to mention that I didn't quite understand the purpose! I went to the VATTASTIC sight and saw the airports offering local ATC. Does that mean I have to start my X-Plane flight at one of those airports? If so, do I also need to land it at an airport offering local ATC? I can't to fly to Norfolk, for example, if the airport doesn't have ATC listed?

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
Does that mean I have to start my X-Plane flight at one of those airports?
It's not required, but note that if you want to fly elsewhere, you may not have ATC coverage. This does not restrict you from doing so in anyway, though. VATSIM has made provisions for flying in what normally would be controlled airspace when no controller is available to provide ATC services.

In a nutshell, if you're flying in controlled airspace while no controller is online to control it, you should announce your intentions on UNICOM (a misnomer - treat it like CTAF) frequency 122.8. Note, however, that controllers in VATSIM provide service in a "top-down" method. For example, if LAX_CTR is online in the Los Angeles ARTCC, (s)he is providing all services at all controlled fields (from delivery up to approach).

If so, do I also need to land it at an airport offering local ATC? I can't to fly to Norfolk, for example, if the airport doesn't have ATC listed?
I think I answered this question above already. Again, ATC availability does not restrict your ability to fly whatsoever... it just means you might not get the "full" experience and instead will be responsible for treating the area as uncontrolled airspace and piloting accordingly.

Scott McElroy 1274068
Posted
Posted

Thanks so much for taking the time to help - I can't wait to get started!