You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Mac Compatibility?

Bradley Clements 1275828

Bradley Clements 1275828
Posted
Posted

Hello! I am a newbie here at this point. I haven't downloaded the software or anything I need besides teamspeak yet because I just recently took the initial quiz. I have a macbook pro 2011. I was wondering:

for all of the programs we use - are there mac versions available anywhere?

if not, is bootcamp the best/most reliable way to run the windows programs? or are there any other programs that do the same thing more efficiently? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you have any information that you think will help reply or message me.

PS I am very tech savvy so feel free to explain in: java/javascript if you are able

Steve Kirks 1252923
Posted
Posted
Hello! I am a newbie here at this point. I haven't downloaded the software or anything I need besides teamspeak yet because I just recently took the initial quiz. I have a macbook pro 2011. I was wondering:

for all of the programs we use - are there mac versions available anywhere?

if not, is bootcamp the best/most reliable way to run the windows programs? or are there any other programs that do the same thing more efficiently? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to VATSIM!

If you want to stay Mac, you're out of options for ATC only--flying is a different story.

You'll want to run Parallels or VMware Fusion on your Mac, run Windows inside of that, then run VRC for a radar client. That's in in a nutshell.

You'll likely spend more time picking an ARTCC to work at--each has it's own strengths and personalities. I chose ZME (vzmeartcc.org) after flying in their airspace and meeting the controllers on TeamSpeak.

Steve

Steve Kirks

ZME S2 Usually MEM_TWR

ZLA I-3 rated pilot

Usually on as:

FDX4345 in a PMDG 777

N533ET in a Pilatus PC-12

N323VB in a Lancair Legacy

1252923.png

Bradley Clements 1275828
Posted
Posted

Steve,

I greatly appreciate your help. So nothing ATC is available for mac? I wonder why that is?

I will look into both. Bootcamp out of the question?

How can I talk to KBOS controllers on team speak to ask them without interfering with on-going ATC? Im still new so I am still learning the ropes! Sorry to be a bother.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
How can I talk to KBOS controllers on team speak to ask them without interfering with on-going ATC?
It may have changed (Don or someone from ZBW can probably chime in), but at one time I thought the ZBW TeamSpeak server was for ZBW controllers only.

Note that TeamSpeak is not related to VATSIM in any way - it's just that some (many?) of the ARTCCs have decided to host TeamSpeak servers for their own purposes.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Steve,

I greatly appreciate your help. So nothing ATC is available for mac? I wonder why that is?

I will look into both. Bootcamp out of the question?

How can I talk to KBOS controllers on team speak to ask them without interfering with on-going ATC? Im still new so I am still learning the ropes! Sorry to be a bother.

Bootcamp will definitely work. the problem is that the currently available ATC clients are Windows-based only. So you'll need a working copy of Windows to control. As Intel-based Macs can run Windows (via Bootcamp, VMWare, or Parallels), you'll be okay there.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Colin Schoen
Posted
Posted

Indeed bootcamp will work well especially if you are lacking the specs to run a VM as smoothly.

Colin Schoen

VATSIM Senior Network Supervisor

Bradley Clements 1275828
Posted
Posted
How can I talk to KBOS controllers on team speak to ask them without interfering with on-going ATC?
It may have changed (Don or someone from ZBW can probably chime in), but at one time I thought the ZBW TeamSpeak server was for ZBW controllers only.

Note that TeamSpeak is not related to VATSIM in any way - it's just that some (many?) of the ARTCCs have decided to host TeamSpeak servers for their own purposes.

That makes sense now from the information I read. Perfect thank you very much for the help I appreciate it!

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

As of earlier this year, the ZBW TS was for controllers only (due to problems that had happened in the past). I think it still is. Best way is to PM the controller.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations