You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSX causes glitch in laptop charging

Dan Goldman 1055370

Dan Goldman 1055370
Posted
Posted

Lenovo Y470 windows7. FSX SP1+acceleration (which i believe includes SP2?)

When running FSX my laptop will stop charging, evidenced by drop in frame rate and the power button/power status lights blinking simultaneously with the charging light (which blinks red). I am not using an OEM charger, but this is the first time i've ever had this problem - even when editing/rendering high definition video files.

thanks for any help.

Dan Goldman 1055370
Posted
Posted

Happens on x plane demo as well

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

A non-OEM charger could potentially be providing an effective wattage lower than what the OEM charger normally provides. So, you could be giving the laptop just enough power to charge under normal load, but a CPU, GPU, etc. under heavy load is going to increase the power consumption.

Various laptop charging units will handle this situation differently. Most Dell laptops (perhaps only the performance/gaming lines), for example, can detect these underpowered chargers in the BIOS and display a message during/after POST that tell you to go buy a Dell charger.

TL;DR: Try an OEM charger, or try a decent-quality non-OEM charger that matches the OEM charger's output voltage and matches or exceeds the OEM charger's maximum amperage.

Dan Goldman 1055370
Posted
Posted

i thought my aftermarket charger was 120w, apparently it was 100. OEM charger solved the problem.