You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Anyone interested in starting a corporate/charter VA?

Darrol Larrok 1140797

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I have an idea for a corporate/charter/air taxi VA:

• Based in the northeast or midwest U.S.
  • Flying two aircraft, the King Air and an undetermined jet
  • Realistic in operations and model choice
  • Using the corporate/charter/air taxi theme/environment to provide flexibility, while maintaining realism

Anyone interested?

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Christopher Liu
Posted
Posted

Nice idea There's lots of decent payware B200/B350 renditions that have recently come on to the market, so now would be a good time to launch. In terms of jets, Eaglesoft are doing a Citation XLS+ and their Citation X v2 is already out, and Carenado are doing a Hawker 850XP (JustFlight already did a BAe 125/Hawker 800 but not sure if it's any good).

However, if you want people to help you, it's probably best to outline what skills and resources you can offer, otherwise there's no incentive for them to involve you!

support1.jpg

Proud supporter of Intercity Airways, visit www.ViaIntercity.com

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Fair enough. I was thinking of using the F1 B200 and Carenado B200 as well as the Eaglesoft Citation X or XLS. I don't think the Carenado Hawker or Just Flight Hawker would be a great idea, since Just Flight tends to be far too light.

As for what I can offer, I have a web host in mind, and can handle web hosting. I also can do the repaints.

Christopher Liu
Posted
Posted

So you can do the marketing, repaints, graphics and web content yourself, it sounds like you just need someone who can do the coding and web design. Many new VAs make the mistake of having loads of staff, but they usually end up with "more chiefs than Indians", that all want to be the head honcho and thus they fail in a mire of ego based in-fighting.

Remember there's not just hosting to pay for, it's quite likely you will need to use VAFS, phpVMS or a similar system and both come with costs attached, so it's worth investigating and budgeting for that. You can shun such systems, but then you generally end up doing a lot of manual admin work which quickly becomes tiresome.

If you're keen but can't find anyone who wants to help you, providing you've got some basic web design skills you can go it alone and just pay people for technical expertise or code as you need it. You certainly have a sound basic idea to drive your airline forward, and I wish you luck should you proceed with it.

support1.jpg

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I'm not into the whole thing where a VA has countless staff. phpVMS is actually free/open source, so there is no need to budget for it, my web host has very cheap database costs.

The question I'm trying to work out is how to generate flights, choose destinations, etc. I don't have sufficient knowledge of how such operations work in RL, so some help there would be great.

Christopher Liu
Posted
Posted
phpVMS is actually free/open source, so there is no need to budget for it.
Whilst that's true in theory, in practise it's almost never the case as you'll likely need several paid modules to get the functionality you want. And you'll need a template/theme, most of which I believe have to be paid for too.

support1.jpg

Robbie Nauffts 1045788
Posted
Posted

Where would you be looking to base the airline? I had a similar idea a few years back (that got shut down) and it ran exclusively with B300s and Twin Otters.

Let me know if you need someone to paint/design something for you, I'll see what I can do to make up for the recent shut down of a group we were both part of.

Robbie

BE4SQyR.jpg

“Aviation is not inherently dangerous, but it is terribly unforgiving.”

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Hey, sounds good. I was thinking of basing it in the Midwest, perhaps KPTK or KPWK. If you have a another idea though, I'd be glad to hear it!

I could definitely use a hand with the repaints. I can do repaints, but I'm not great at it, so if you'd like to repaint the F1 B200 , that'd be awesome! I'm not too clear on the exact livery, I was thinking of just changing the N numbers on the built in-corporate looking liveries.

A few people have expressed interest in this, either in the thread or PM, and I'd like to meet on a teamspeak and discuss any ideas. I'm currently trying to work out how to generate the flights, and again, any ideas there would be great!

The web design, I've got under control at my end, as soon as I choose a CMS, which will depend on how the flights will be generated. Can VAFS, or is there a phpVMS module that can generate randomly loaded flights to a list of airports or airports in a specific range?

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Got a teamspeak and a name, at least for now. LK Aviation the name, and I'm using a room on a shared teamspeak, PM for the address.

Robbie Nauffts 1045788
Posted
Posted

Where are you looking to base this Darrol?

BE4SQyR.jpg

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

KPTK at the moment, but depending on what other people want, any Midwest GA airport is fine as well.

• 2 months later...
Robbie Nauffts 1045788
Posted
Posted

Is this still in development Darrol? If not and people are still interested, check out my post here:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=64955

We will be bringing in the B200 and C90 as well after launch.

If this still in the works Darrol, let me know and I will delete this post.

BE4SQyR.jpg

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

This isn't still in development, but your idea looks great, and I'll definitely join in once you bring in the B200.

Robbie Nauffts 1045788
Posted
Posted

I'll be in touch bud.

BE4SQyR.jpg

Robbie Nauffts 1045788
Posted
Posted
....I'll definitely join in once you bring in the B200.

It will be in at launch.

BE4SQyR.jpg