You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Windows 8.1 Incompatible with Squawk Box?

Chris Valencia 1250352

Chris Valencia 1250352
Posted
Posted

I just installed windows 8.1 and it works fine with FSX.. however squawk box does not. It says that it has detected a problem with squawkBoxsbmod10.dll does anyone know of a fix for this issue?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

cant say ive ever seen that error myself. make sure you are trying to instal squawkbox 4. also make sure you are using an admin account on your PC, not a regular user account. you have to be on an admin account to install and use the clients.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
you have to be on an admin account to install and use the clients.

To install, yes. To use, no.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

cant speak for squawkbox, but FSINN does indeed require that, least thats the info i was given for FSINN. the issue seems to be with access to the registry which it needs to be able to write to. havent had anyone provide any info to the contrary showing the client working properly without it.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

I was referring to Squawkbox, specifically. Apologies.

Hopefully as part of the review process for new clients VATSIM will insist that they meet modern appdev standards.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Chris Valencia 1250352
Posted
Posted

Tried all the admin stuff ect already im thinking it just isnt 8.1 compatable idk

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

I doubt it. Make sure you uninstall it and reinstall it with Administrator privileges. Check for anything that might be blocking it (firewall or UAC in Windows).

I don't have FSX but there seems to be a DLL.XML file that you can try editing to see if you can avoid that DLL from being loaded (just for testing purposes). Make sure you keep an original copy so that you can go back to that version of the file later.

This could also be a conflict with an aircraft you may have installed in the meantime.

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming Windows 8.1 also has the "Run in compatibility mode", have you tried that?

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

Chris Valencia 1250352
Posted
Posted

So i am running everything in compatibility mode. It worked fine before the 8.1 update. I am thinking about downgrading to win 7.

The only way i can get it to work is run it in win xp compatibility mode and launch it before I launch FSx.