You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Airac Cycle Question?

Gavin Wakefield 1050225

Gavin Wakefield 1050225
Posted
Posted

hi i'v spent alot on my pmdg 747 plus the 8i expansion plus fsx plus my three controllers plus my three tv's plus my track ir plus my expensive pc setup x2 to play fsx on vatsim server.

i went on today and got told i need to update my Airac to 1403 and gave me a link to the navigraph website. do i really have to pay for a monthly subscription as well to be able to have the wright airac system installed on my pmdg.

if so i'm not going to be a happy f****ng bunny because it's taken me years to get my setup as it is as i'm not made of money and where i come from it certainly does not grow on trees

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

It's 5 dollars for one cycle, 27 dollars for a whole year. If you have three monitors, track ir, etc you can probably you can probably do the 27 once a year, or just buy a five dollar cycle when you get too out of sync with reality.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

its not required that you update the airac. you can fly with the default. you simply wont be able to use many of the current procedures or routes

VATSIM however does not require you to update or buy anything, whoever told you that gave you incorrect information

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

If you're looking for sympathy after posting about all of the money you've already spent shortly followed by a rant about not wanting to spend a few more dollars (or, apparently, the time to compose a post with proper grammar, capitalization, and without swearing)... I highly doubt you're going to find any.

Likewise, if you're just looking to play a video game, then no, you certainly don't need up-to-date procedures. If you're looking to enjoy flight simulation, then yeah, you'll probably want them.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I wasn't going to say anything, but Brad's post hit the nail on the head. It's like you said, "I want to be able to fly across the world in the best, most awesome business jet with all the creature comforts in the world whenever I want", dropped $50,000,000 on the most incredible jet there is that meets your every desire plus and $500,000 a year on a dedicated flight and cabin crew, and are ticked off that you'll need to spend $95 a year to keep the GPS databases updated. All depends on how much realism you want, I suppose....

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Gavin Wakefield 1050225
Posted
Posted

i'm sorry about my anger but i'v spent along time (years) building my setup and it was just another thing to pay out and it's all been on a tight saving budget.

What annoyed me was i bought the 1402 version on the 2/3/2014 then 6 days later i'm told to update it again which i'v just found out updated 2 days ago. Yes it's my fault for not doing my research on the airac side of things, i never read it properly and i thought i only need the one payment thinking it was a one off purchase i.e addon etc.

i apologize for the way i wrote it i should of thought and worded it out better.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

if you have 1402 you are fine. you dont exactly have to get each and every update. its not always that much of a big change to need to do that. 1402 should get you by for awhile until you start seeing big differences

Gavin Wakefield 1050225
Posted
Posted

ok thank you

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The question is, why were you told you had to get the next cycle? Were you trying to fly a particular procedure that wasn't in your current cycle? If that's the case, then yeah, you need the latest. But as others have said, you're generally fine with data that is a few cycles old, since not a whole lot changes from one cycle to the next. It's just a question of whether or not the things that DO change are things that you need.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

The advice you've gotten here is good. To add, if you are given a clearance to fly a particular procedure and find that you can't because you don't have it on board, the best thing you can do is 'fess up and tell the controller "I'm sorry sir, my AIRAC is a few cycles old and I don't have that one on board. Unable." The controller will then give you an alternate clearance / vectors that you can fly. And, of course, don't file a flight plan that contains procedures you don't have.

Like I said before, it all depends on how much you value realism. You dropped a ton of hard-saved money on a great system; $27 a year to update your database seems to pale in comparison. Just to put it in perspective, the cost to keep a G1000 database updated is $1725 a year for worldwide service, $1087 a year for the Americas, and $937 a year for the US only. But like the others suggested, you can probably get away with 2-4 updates a year ($10-20) to save a few bucks and be "close enough". It all depend on what you consider "close enough" for a system as capable as yours.

Also, for future reference, in case you choose to only update a few-ish times a year, in this link is the schedule of AIRAC updates: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeronautical_Information_Publication

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
The controller will then give you an alternate clearance / vectors that you can fly.
... or clear you by the new procedure and request you take a look at the chart (something you should have had even when using the old procedure) before departure.

For example, if you file LOOP6 out of KLAX, I'd clear you using the LOOP7 departure. If the frequency isn't saturated, I'll explain that the ground track hasn't changed, only the way some of the altitude crossing restrictions were denoted.