You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New motherboard?

Ross Burke 1002996

Ross Burke 1002996
Posted
Posted

Hi All,

I recently build up a computer from a few oldish parts I had and a couple of new parts. It seems to be working okay at the minute running FSX at average settings. However the motherboard is stopping my CPU working at its full potential, As it doesn’t allow over clocking. My question is can anyone recommend a good motherboard for these components?

•Intel i5 2500K

•Corsair CX500

•nVidia GTX660Ti BOOST 2GB

•Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600MHz

I do currently only have a stock CPU cooler as well so if you can recommend a budget cooler I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

generate.php?mid=1002996

Ross Burke

Gatwick / Heathrow Controller | S3

Steve Kirks 1252923
Posted
Posted

Use pcpartpicker.com and enter your parts. It has a compatibility checker and should be able to suggest a motherboard.

Steve Kirks

ZME S2 Usually MEM_TWR

ZLA I-3 rated pilot

Usually on as:

FDX4345 in a PMDG 777

N533ET in a Pilatus PC-12

N323VB in a Lancair Legacy

1252923.png

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

How big is your case?

I ask because last year, I was looking at doing something similar because it was time, and I wanted to futureproof my machine.

But instead of staying big with an ATX build, I went Mini ITX instead.

For me, I went with the Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI motherboard. My success and praise of the BitFenix Prodigy Mini ITX case is well known here (search this part of the forum to see). Seeing that you are limiting yourself to the 2500K, plus wanting to overclock, that would be the best board to get from the Gigabyte line.

They do have MicroATX and ATX equivalents of those boards, so have a look at their Socket 1155 line, and pick out which one you like. If I remember correctly their Z77 from that list allow for overclocking (I slightly overclocked mine, and I'm on a Core i5-3570K).

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller