You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

What's the best AI package for model use?

Morten Steen

Morten Steen
Posted
Posted

In light of the new clients coming out (hopefully soon:)), I want to get an payware AI package to utilize its models for online flying. I have tried WOAI with the SB SMS thing but gave up because of compilation errors.

I only fly online and don't care for AI, so I would like to get a package that has the best models but does not interfere with my FSX install with its AI functionality.

I am not sure how AI packages work, if they install AFCADs, or if they can do something wrong with my setup if I install them just to use the models?

I know about two or three popular payware packages in addition to WOAI.

If anyone could shed some light on how AI works, and secondly, what would be the best choice for my use, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,

morten_steen_zpsbqpwg3mb.png

Johnathon Neilsen 955672
Posted
Posted

IVAO has some very good addons in this regard.

I use JustFlights Traffic X, as that is quite a good addon in regards to model wise (not the best looking planes, but they are in correct liveries and type.... )

I cant comment on the technical side, as I don't know much about that.

955672.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Morton, getting model matching going with vPilot is nothing like the smsgenerator -- takes less than a minute to configure and no errors. You just tell vPilot what AI packages you want to use. I find that my WOAI package is matching about 90-95% of the aircraft out there where I fly, and does a very nice job. One strategy you could try is download the WOAI (ones that you don't have yet, if any) and IVAO packages and give those a shot first. Crawl before you walk, walk before you run. Depending on how many white A320s you see (the vPilot default aircraft), you can choose whether or not to purchase another package or not. It also depends on how much realism you want -- the payware are probably better quality. I find that WOAI is fine for my needs and computer.

Installing AI doesn't mess anything up, at least in my experience and reading these forums for the last 7+ years. I don't know all the technical specifics, but once loaded you end up with models that fly flight plans. How you set the sliders (and where you fly) determines how many you see.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Morten Steen
Posted
Posted

Thanks Jonathon and Don.

Good point Don, I fly mostly out of UK. Gatwick has a lot of Vatsim traffic every day, thus would be a great place to start, adding only a few of the WOAI packages with the relevant airlines/frames, and see what happens.

Great stuff guys, have a good weekend!

Cheers,

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

I am using the IVAO MTL library. It is free and is very complete with lots of models and is updated on a regular basis.

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3

Morten Steen
Posted
Posted

Thanks Marc, so you'll have to install Ivap to get the library, and then convert the MTL via the SMS generator?

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

No need to convert anything.

Once you have installed the MTL Library there is nothing else to do. vPilot has model matching rules for the IVAO MTL Library.

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3

Morten Steen
Posted
Posted

Great, thanks Marc

Chad Vienna 1195499
Posted
Posted
No need to convert anything.

Once you have installed the MTL Library there is nothing else to do. vPilot has model matching rules for the IVAO MTL Library.

Fantastic!

Chad Vienna - KCRQ

ZLA Pilot Cert I-09

d_8855.jpg

"The important thing in aeroplanes is that they shall be speedy." — Baron Manfred Von Richthofen