You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Is OMDW a Renamed OMDB

Randy Tyndall 1087023

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Saw a post elsewhere about how rapidly Airports in the Middle East are changing, especially in the UAE.

I downloaded current charts and diagrams from the UAE AIP (1404 AIRAC) for both OMAA and OMDW and then updated the FSX default OMAA (using ADE9X) by adding RWY 13L-31R and changing 13-31 to 13R-31L. Also fixed all the misnamed taxiways.

I had read that OMDW was a new airport not yet in FSX and when I typed in OMDW in the FSX world map, sure enough, no such beast. So I started looking for it in Google Earth so I could place it properly in FSX. I used the Lat/Lon coordinates provided on the AIP charts to begin my search.

What I found at those coordinates in Google Earth sure matched the airport diagram for OMDW from the UAE AIP charts, but when I went to those coordinates in FSX an airport was already there, OMDB. OMDW, according to the UAE AIP, has one runway 12-30 and in FSX OMDB has two runways 12L-30R and 12R-30L.

Is OMDW simply a renamed and remodeled airport using the available structures from OMDB? If it is, now comes the big question, does anyone know if you can "rename" a default airport in FSX so that OMDB will not show up in the airport list, but OMDW does? I know FSX protects its' default NAVAIDS from deletion. Case in point, I now have the new TED VOR in Alaska, but I could not get rid of the ANC VOR that was decommissioned.

Randy

Edit: Feel silly. Just did a more detailed look over the entire Dhubai area after reading up on the three airports and found OMAA in the southwest portion of the city, OMDW 45 miles to the Northeast and OMDB 27 miles further Northeast, so they are definaitely three separate airports. Sorry for my confusion.

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

OMDB and OMDW are 2 different airports.

Take a look at the charts and you'll see. OMDW is between OMAA and OMDB but slightly more to the east.

New York ARTCC

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Yep, Sebastien. I found all three in google earth after I made my initial post so I added this edit to the bottom.

Feel silly. Just did a more detailed look over the entire Dhubai area after reading up on the three airports and found OMAA in the southwest portion of the city, OMDW 45 miles to the Northeast and OMDB 27 miles further Northeast, so they are definaitely three separate airports. Sorry for my confusion

Should have made it another post I guess, but thanks for the reply. I've got the runway for OMDW in place in FSX using ADE9X. Will be adding taxiways and various generics starting tomorrow. Just default FSX stuff for now...terminals, hangars, and such.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training