You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VFR in the US

Ido Rosenthal 899496

Ido Rosenthal 899496
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I've started learning about flying VFR in the US. So far it sounds facinating, I had a friend who made a PPL in the US come over and explain to me about the different Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es, about "Flight Following" and how to read the sectional map.

The only thing left for me is understand how things work on VATSIM. and here are the few questions I have:

1. How do I file a flight plan for VFR, what should I write in the route section ? can I take off from an airfield without having a particular destination ?

2. Can I fly on VATSIM without flight following ? what freq (if any) should I be on in this case ?

5336.png

Ido Rosenthal

Ait Aviation - AIT001

www.ait-aviation.org

Norm Hare 907837
Posted
Posted

Ido,

You may find the answer to your question if you visit one of the US VATSIM ARTCC websites. You could try http://www.dcartcc.org/vfr_info.php but there are others as well.

Joey Vargo 878034
Posted
Posted

Ido,

It's been a while since I've flown, so if some of this is old, someone please correct me. In the SB3 menu, when you go to file a flight plan, there should be an area to select an IFR, VFR, or I believe SVFR flight. Obviously, you'd want to select VFR if that's what you want to do. For a flight plan, you can file a route if you're following one, add in comments about your flight ("going over the bay"), or just leave it blank. The controller, if there is one, may ask intentions, and you could just tell him/her what you want to do. Keep in mind altitudes for VFR add 500.

Flight following is a request on the pilots part, so you never really have to fly with it. It's there if you would like, but you're not required to have it. However, this is different than if you are in, say, a Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airspace, in which you have to be talking with ATC to be in the airspace. If you take off from a small uncontrolled airspace and stay in Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] E, then you don't have to talk to any controllers unless you would need help. Staying on the UNICOM frequency 122.80, and just announcing your intentions, should suffice just fine. Hope this helps.

Joey V