You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ES crashes on Windows 8.1 when clicking Browse

Michael Pike

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

In the Connect Dialog, when I click any Browse button to select a scenario, log fie or playback file ES immediately crashes. This happens whether Connect to VATSIM is ticked or not and whether Run as Administrator or not.

Event viewer shows the message:-

Faulting application name: EuroScope.exe, version: 3.1.5.5, time stamp: 0x536a7f0f

Faulting module name: SHELL32.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17055, time stamp: 0x532924d8

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Does look like a Windows-related problem. Is it worth re-installing ES 3.2? I have 3.1d on the system as well and that opens files through the Browse button without any problem.

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Syam Haque 1161585
Posted
Posted

This also occurred to me and not in the Connect Dialog box. I was trying to save a chat to a file and pressed "Save chat to a file" under OTHER SET on the menu. I was greeted by a "Euroscope is not responding" box and then Euroscope crashed. I am also running Windows 8.1.

Same message on Event viewer as Michael

Faulting application name: EuroScope.exe, version: 3.1.5.5, time stamp: 0x536a7f0f

Faulting module name: SHELL32.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17055, time stamp: 0x532924d8

Exception code: 0xc0000005

VATSIM Middle East

Syam Haque - 1161585

Eric Bocaneanu 906549
Posted
Posted

This is something that happened in beta but we were able to reproduce on a single computer and we believed it was a machine problem rather than a software problem. We will get back to you to try to debug this.

Eric Bocaneanu

ROvACC Director

Maciej Lapoc 890272
Posted
Posted

The same to me- when I try to do anything with upper menu [load sector file, load settings etc] ES crashes with announcement "system handles with problem running ES, we are looking for solution".

This is fresh Windows 8.1 installation on new computer.

Michal Fira
Posted
Posted

Well, Gergely for sure is now aware of this, i think we will have to wait until it's fixed - lets stay tuned

Michal Fira (1117392) C3

VATSIM Network Supervisor and Membership Manager - NA

0.png

Eric Bocaneanu 906549
Posted
Posted

For whoever is eager to use it until then can use it in a portable mode.

Batch command: START /D "EuroScope" EuroScope.exe ../Romania.prf

Eric Bocaneanu

ROvACC Director

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

Thanks Eric. I should make clear that when I open ES the dialog that opens automatically for me to select a profile, works fine and I can start ES. What I was keen to do but can't is run a scenario - no way to select the scenario file, even if I type the whole path in manually. The Browse button in the FSD server dialog works as expected, but of course the file is not opened from there.

Happy to wait for a fix, just trying to provide as much info as possible. I still have my W7 laptop available so I can use that for scenarios. Also confirming that ES 3.1d works fine on W8.1

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Eric Bocaneanu 906549
Posted
Posted

Michael,

Strange to hear that typing doesn't work. In any case, the symptoms are the same on my setup (and I'm on Windows 8.1 Update 1). The profile window works fine but not any other Browse.

To load the scenario from the FSD server you need to add a prefix at the top of the scenario file:

PSEUDOPILOT:

PSEUDOPILOT:EBBR_P_CTR

The callsign is the simulator which connects as Start Sweatbox.

Eric Bocaneanu

ROvACC Director

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

Thanks very much Eric. You're right it does work if I type in the full path for the scenario. So I've got it going now, thanks again. (I had failed to put localhost in the server box.)

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Michal Fira
Posted
Posted

Guys, i think that i have found a fix for it. I have change the compatibility mode to Windows XP (SP 3) of Euroscope.exe, removed all that invalid DLLs with names mfcm***.dll mfc***.dll msvcm***.dll (which cames with newest ES) etc and moved the old dlls (i've uploaded them here - http://www.speedyshare.com/2YQ7C/Fix.rar) and it worked out for me. ES is not crashing while "browsing" the files using any options like "browse" "save chatlog to the file.." or "load sectorfile..."

Hope it helps,

Michal

Michal Fira (1117392) C3

VATSIM Network Supervisor and Membership Manager - NA

0.png

Ryan Easte
Posted
Posted

This fix worked for me thanks mate, was missing alot of those Dll's

• 3 weeks later...
Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

While we are testing for a final solution I found that this crash happens only in case the profile selection dialog is opened at startup. If you check the auto load profile and the file selection is not opened that time then all the rest work fine. At least it was tested in one machine.

The suggestion is:

- Use auto load profile.

- If you would like to change your profile:

- Uncheck it.

- Select the new profile at startup.

- Check it again and quit.

- Start with the new profile, but automatically.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

• 3 months later...
Bert Galjaard 1205990
Posted
Posted
While we are testing for a final solution I found that this crash happens only in case the profile selection dialog is opened at startup. If you check the auto load profile and the file selection is not opened that time then all the rest work fine. At least it was tested in one machine.

The suggestion is:

- Use auto load profile.

- Uncheck it.

I tested it on my new windows 8.1 computer and it works fine. Thank you

• 2 months later...
Bryan Pool 1309809
Posted
Posted

The suggestion is:

- Use auto load profile.

- Uncheck it.

How do I stop the profile selection diolog at startup? New with using this program.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Bahaeddine El-Zarif
Posted
Posted

I have got a new laptop with windows 8.1 and when I try to load a new sector file, it crashes.

Current version is Euroscope 3.2 (I don't think I've installed any beta versions).

Windows 8.1 64 bit OS

Chriss Klosowski
Posted
Posted

Hmm that is weird. I used to run Euroscope on 8.1 with no issues. However try to install the latest packages required for euroscope to work (the netframework) and see if that works if not run as admin.

CHRISS KLOSOWSKI
Division Director, VATSIM Middle East & North Africa  
VATSIM Network Senior Supervisor, Team 5
##  [email protected] 
##
 http://vatsim.me/    

1185353147_Signature(1).png.e6818c4256541cb309a1888bad7c9d33.png

Bahaeddine El-Zarif
Posted
Posted
Hmm that is weird. I used to run Euroscope on 8.1 with no issues. However try to install the latest packages required for euroscope to work (the netframework) and see if that works if not run as admin.

I did install the latest Euroscope beta and removed the VCA DLL file that happened to exist on my PC for some reason. It worked afterwards.