You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Default model matching

Philip McNiel 1282687

Philip McNiel 1282687
Posted
Posted

I recently noticed that if I decide to fly in a default paint scheme (i.e. the World Travel Airlines livery in the default B738), FSInn will let me do that, but vPilot will turn my plane into a plain-white model like it does with airlines I haven't installed from WOAI yet. I've downloaded the default rule set, so why is it doing this?

Also, what about planes I've manually installed as add-ons (e.g. Eagle Rotorcraft Simulations' Piaggio P-180 Avanti)? I know that FSInn is frequently pretty good about recognizing when someone else is flying a plane of the same type as a model I've installed as a single flyable addon, even when it's not part of a group such as "FSX Default" or "WoAI European." Is vPilot OK with this too, or is it not programmed to handle miscellaneous user-installed aircraft such as the Just Flight C152, Freemium 757 (BAW or AAL colors), or freeware models such as the ones I've already installed?

p.s. I've heard vPilot doesn't model-match military aircraft. Is this the case? I'd prefer to be able to see the F-16's and F-18's that some people fly around in sometimes.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I recently noticed that if I decide to fly in a default paint scheme (i.e. the World Travel Airlines livery in the default B738), FSInn will let me do that, but vPilot will turn my plane into a plain-white model like it does with airlines I haven't installed from WOAI yet. I've downloaded the default rule set, so why is it doing this?

Uhm ... vPilot does not change the aircraft you're flying ... so if your own plane texture is being changed somehow, it's not vPilot that's doing it.

Also, what about planes I've manually installed as add-ons (e.g. Eagle Rotorcraft Simulations' Piaggio P-180 Avanti)? I know that FSInn is frequently pretty good about recognizing when someone else is flying a plane of the same type as a model I've installed as a single flyable addon, even when it's not part of a group such as "FSX Default" or "WoAI European." Is vPilot OK with this too, or is it not programmed to handle miscellaneous user-installed aircraft such as the Just Flight C152, Freemium 757 (BAW or AAL colors), or freeware models such as the ones I've already installed?

vPilot will use whatever models are specified in the model matching rule sets you download or create yourself. So the only way it would use your P180 is if you create a model matching rule that points to that model.

p.s. I've heard vPilot doesn't model-match military aircraft. Is this the case? I'd prefer to be able to see the F-16's and F-18's that some people fly around in sometimes.

Whoever told you that is wrong. vPilot will use any model you have installed (military or not) provided you have model matching rules loaded that refer to that model.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Philip McNiel 1282687
Posted
Posted

But my plane texture DID change back from plain-white to World Travel Airlines as soon as I switched off vPilot and went over to FSInn! Strange

And how hard is it to create and edit your own model-matching rule set as you add more and more addon aircraft?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
But my plane texture DID change back from plain-white to World Travel Airlines as soon as I switched off vPilot and went over to FSInn! Strange

Something else is going on there ... vPilot does not mess with your own aircraft texture in any way. It only deals with OTHER aircraft textures.

And how hard is it to create and edit your own model-matching rule set as you add more and more addon aircraft?

Depends on the person ... have you read the docs?

If the available rule sets are not sufficient for your needs, you can create a custom one. You can make it yourself by editing the .vmr files, which are plain text XML, or there's a tool out there written by a third party that scans your installed aircraft and generates .vmr files for you. It's called VMRGenerator.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Philip McNiel 1282687
Posted
Posted

...there's a tool out there written by a third party that scans your installed aircraft and generates .vmr files for you. It's called VMRGenerator.

Thanks for the tip!

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Philip McNiel 1282687
Posted
Posted

^^^Duly noted

A bit late for me to try it out for myself right now, but I'll be back