You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSInn v's Squawkbox v's vPilot

Guy Burton

Guy Burton
Posted
Posted

Greetings,

Is there some where I can see the pro's and con's between the three pilot clients for VATSIM. At the moment, from what I've read/seen:

- FSInn is the most comprehensive/detailed but also needs FSCopilot to operate, also the most complex to install

- Squawkbox has a less capable interface, is a little easier to install compared to FSInn, but seems to be having quite a few problems with the server or client at the moment

- vPilot, the new boy on the block, easy to install, very limited interface

Can anyone provide comments about the system they use please? Just trying to make the decision making process a little easier as I start my VATSIM journey.

Thanks,

Guy

Guy

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
Squawkbox ... seems to be having quite a few problems with the server or client at the moment

What gave you that idea?

Just trying to make the decision making process a little easier as I start my VATSIM journey.

Why decide at all? Unless you're using FS9 (which vPilot doesn't support), there's nothing that says you can't install all three and make the decision yourself as to which best suits your personal needs/desires.

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Guy,

To offer comments from experience;

I used to have SB because it was the only option to FSInn. I had tried FSInn several times but I obviously wasn't doing something correctly.

Finally - with the help of VATSIM FSInn install guide - I got FSInn installed and operating. At this stage I wouldn't go back. I have recently had an issue with FSInn, but at thus stage I'm hanging in there.

I have not looked at vPilot, so can't comment.

FSInn - in my view - is the choice for functionality. It does model matching, limited animation of other aircraft control surfaces etc, multiple voice room availability, nice windowed display options, and better flight plan submission screen.

Having said all that, it is more complex to install - in my view.

There are helpers around, so what ever you choose, you should get good [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance from VATSIM.

Which ever you choose, follow the install guides on this forum.

Welcome to VATSIM. If you are a member of VATOCE/VATPAC there is also a region web page and forum for thing Ozzie.

http://www.vatpac.org/cms/

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Guy Burton
Posted
Posted

Thanks Sean, most appreciated.

Cheers,

Guy

Guy

• 2 weeks later...
Stephen Markham
Posted
Posted

I'm a newbie/novice in the VATPAC region too, and because I use X Plane 10.25 I have to use XSquawkbox for my online experience. I tried it for the first time today, but wasn't able to get any sound as there were no ATC Controllers around it seemed. I decided to fly out of LOWI (Innsbruck) using text for the ATC. I reported my Intensions to fly a scenic route and return to LOWI. There was no response from anyone. However, and this was very exciting I must say. While parked on the apron after my first flight, I saw a message which had A reference to LOWI in it. I quickly looked around using shift4, and low and behold there was a jet aircraft right behind me! I used the .msg to contact the plane telling him/her I was a novice, to which they replied, ' I could tell ', but I was thrilled to bits to receive a message back wishing me well and to have fun. My first contact with the outside world so to speak, and it was strangely uplifting! Can't wait to get the audio working now, to have some meaningful conversation with a real person.

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Hey Stephen. Do you have VATSPY or ServInfo?

If you want to test out the voice functionality, use either of those to find an airport with ATC online.

I would recommend not doing flights at a busy airport to start with, but just sit on the apron/gate and listen/watch. It is great to learn what others are doing in this way.

Once you feel confident fly from a not so busy airport.

Tip. If there isn't ATC online, you make statements on Unicom to provide others situational awareness. Don't ask questions? Eg many newer members send text on Unicom (122.800) asking for clearance when there isn't any ATC.

Good luck, and feel free to ask.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Stephen Markham
Posted
Posted

Hi Sean

Thanks for the tips, I shall definitely be trying one or the other of those apps, it sounds like they might just be the answer to findings ATC ops who are working!

Perth WA

Thanks again

Stephen Markham
Posted
Posted
Hey Stephen. Do you have VATSPY or ServInfo?

If you want to test out the voice functionality, use either of those to find an airport with ATC online.

I would recommend not doing flights at a busy airport to start with, but just sit on the apron/gate and listen/watch. It is great to learn what others are doing in this way.

Once you feel confident fly from a not so busy airport.

Tip. If there isn't ATC online, you make statements on Unicom to provide others situational awareness. Don't ask questions? Eg many newer members send text on Unicom (122.800) asking for clearance when there isn't any ATC.

Good luck, and feel free to ask.

Sean

I downloaded and installed VATSPY yesterday. I opened the app and everything looked like it was working fine. I closed it down but when I tried to open it again nothing happened. It refused to open. I then decided to uninstall the app and maybe start again, but to no avail. It refused to uninstall. I then tried to delete the the folder, but was told by a message box that another program was using the app so I was unable to delete it. I then opened Task Master to verify if the app was still open, which it was so I ended it, and only then was able to delete the folder. I realize that deleting a folder is not the same as uninstalling the app so was wondering what the problem could have been, and whether to re install it.

I am using Windows 8.1 pro on a laptop, not sure if that might be a compatibility issue.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Stephen

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Sounds like you didn't actually close it and perhaps minimized it? By default, in Windows 7 at least, it'll minimize down to the notification area (next to the clock) - its icon might be hidden until you show all of them.

Alternatively, look in Task Manager to see if the process is still running; if so, terminate it from there.

• 4 months later...
Nathan Elliott 1278737
Posted
Posted

Sorry had to bring this up topic bacj up because vpilot ain't ideal for my 1 screen pc but my BIG question is.

Question

Is Vpilot more fps friendly than fsinn overall

Is Vpilot less likey to CTD than fsinn

Is Vpilot recommended for low spec one montor pc person?

Thanks.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

the only thing that affects frames that i know of with FSINN (not counting AI models which are 3rd party to either client) is the graphical display which you can disable from the FSINN settings, any current PC within the last 7 years or so should be able to handle FSINN's graphical display, this was an issue with older PC's.

FSINN vs vpilot in CTD's, ive not seen FSINN cause CTD's. so id say both equal there. the CTD's usually come from addons or was installed incorrectly

only if you run FSX in windowed mode. if you run FSX in full screen, vpilot is not meant for that

Nathan Elliott 1278737
Posted
Posted
the only thing that affects frames that i know of with FSINN (not counting AI models which are 3rd party to either client) is the graphical display which you can disable from the FSINN settings, any current PC within the last 7 years or so should be able to handle FSINN's graphical display, this was an issue with older PC's.

FSINN vs vpilot in CTD's, ive not seen FSINN cause CTD's. so id say both equal there. the CTD's usually come from addons or was installed incorrectly

only if you run FSX in windowed mode. if you run FSX in full screen, vpilot is not meant for that

Going back to fsinn due to personal preference , but i highly recommend vpilot especially if you're a new member.