You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vATIS update 1.0.7159.24534 now available

Justin Shannon

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Version 1.0.7159.24534 of vATIS is now available for download from the web site, or via the automatic update utility built into the ATIS client.

The following items were added or fixed in this version:

- Fix order of departure/arrival items
- Added logic to combine departure/arrival runways if necessary
- Runways selected in the lists are now saved
- Added ATIS update subscription
- Runway lists are now populated after loading a configuration profile
- Begin code logic for non-US standard METARs.
- Fixed AGL pronunciation
- Added pause to ATIS preview
- More vATIS crash fixes
- Fix culture settings which prevented vATIS from establishing connection; caused crashing

Non-US METAR parsing:

This is still a WIP. You must check the "Non-US METAR P[Mod - Happy Thoughts]" checkbox under the configuration tab. This will slightly change the parsing options. Please note that there are still some items that are not correctly p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]d yet. If you find an error, please let me know.

ATIS update subscription:

New to this version is a ATIS update subscription. Controllers may subscribe to ATIS updates by sending a private chat message to the ATIS connection with the command SUBSCRIBE. vATIS will respond with a success message.

When a new ATIS becomes available, those who are subscribed will receive a private message override and the new ATIS letter and altimeter will be displayed in the ATC chat box.

If you wish to unsubscribe from the updates, you may send a private message to the ATIS connection with the command UNSUBSCRIBE. Update subscriptions are cleared when the vATIS application is closed and disconnected.

For those who use Euroscope, I'm currently in the process of adding the code logic to update the ATIS information code, so stay tuned...

JmDf8ANYWgGE.png

Xz2qrNruZ3Da.png

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Brandon Daly 1208124
Posted
Posted

now the subscribe feature that is only for the controllers or can the pilot do it as well just wondering

Brandon A. Daly

Jacksonville ARTCC S3

Mentor and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istant Events Coordinator

1208124.png

WfMC.png

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
now the subscribe feature that is only for the controllers or can the pilot do it as well just wondering

I didn't put any restrictions on who could receive the ATIS update notifications, so I don't see why it wouldn't work (but I haven't tested it)...though, I don't really see the point in a pilot subscribing to the ATIS...

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted
...though, I don't really see the point in a pilot subscribing to the ATIS...

Ehm... Another way to cheat.... If they get the ATIS delivered to them, lazy pilots won't actually tune to the ATIS and receive not only the weather information, but the NOTAMs.....

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Bradford Lee
Posted
Posted

Ehm... Another way to cheat.... If they get the ATIS delivered to them, lazy pilots won't actually tune to the ATIS and receive not only the weather information, but the NOTAMs.....

Yea but all they get is the letter and the altimeter. They still don't get the winds or in-use runways.

Brad Lee

spacer.png

ZJX ARTCC

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Yep, unfortunately I hear it all the time (even before the subscription option -- hopefully too many pilots aren't paying attention to the vATIS feature set )....

ABC123: XXX_APP, with you at 11,000.

XXX_APP: ABC123, XXX_APP, good evening, confirm you have the ATIS?

ABC123: Yep, we've got Charlie.

[10 seconds later]

ABC123: Hey, Approach, what runway should we expect?

XXX_APP: Uh, I thought you said you had Charlie.

ABC123: ...uh...umm...umm....

XXX_APP: ABC123, fly heading 070, descend and maintain 7000, vectors for the ILS Approach, Runway xx. ATIS is available on 1xx.xxx....

(pet peeve of mine (if you couldn't tell ))

Don Desfosse

Bradford Lee
Posted
Posted

Heh. Sure this isn't actually a recording of you then, Don?

Brad Lee

spacer.png

ZJX ARTCC

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

But do you think they'd really subscribe to the ATIS? If the're not going to tune to the frequency (or at the very least, get the text version readout), they're most definitely not going to subscribe to the ATIS to get an update when a new one is available. This feature was intended for easier coordinate between controllers...as an easy way to send a notification when a new ATIS is available.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Nah, probably not.... Maybe just a little venting on my part....

Don Desfosse

Colin Schoen
Posted
Posted

Thanks JS

Colin Schoen

VATSIM Senior Network Supervisor