You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

A question for Germen ATC

Sam Chen 1226141

Sam Chen 1226141
Posted
Posted

The other day, one of VATPRC (China division) pilots flew a long haul from Guangzhou (ZGGG) to Frankfort (EDDF). When he landed at EDDF, APP gave him a taxi instruction, something like this: " M23, M22, hold short of 25C". He tried everthing he could and just found out there's no taxiway with identifier M23, M22. After the flight, he looked further into this by review Google Earth of EDDF and suddenly relized what M23, M22 mean--they are two express highways located adjacent to the airport! He then concluded that APP instructed him taxi towards the direction of M23, M22.

It sounds pretty much weird. Can our Germen mates shed a light on it?

Thanks

Sam Chen

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted
The other day, one of VATPRC (China division) pilots flew a long haul from Guangzhou (ZGGG) to Frankfort (EDDF). When he landed at EDDF, APP gave him a taxi instruction, something like this: " M23, M22, hold short of 25C". He tried everthing he could and just found out there's no taxiway with identifier M23, M22. After the flight, he looked further into this by review Google Earth of EDDF and suddenly relized what M23, M22 mean--they are two express highways located adjacent to the airport! He then concluded that APP instructed him taxi towards the direction of M23, M22.

It sounds pretty much weird. Can our Germen mates shed a light on it?

Thanks

Sam Chen

You can't have read the charts very well?

http://nav.vatsim-germany.org/files/edgg/charts/eddf/public/EDDF_GND.pdf

M23 is a RET from 25L.

There is no M22, but based on your post you aren't sure that's what actually was said so I would guess the instruction was

"Taxi M23, M30, hold short of 25C" which is a perfectly sensible instruction.

Also Motorways in Germany IIRC are called "A3" "A5" etc, I think the numbers you've seen on google map are junction numbers. However I don't think this is what the controller meant, if that is what he wanted you to do the instruction "taxi westbound" or "taxi towards the 25 thresholds" would make much more sense.

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia

Sam Chen 1226141
Posted
Posted

Johan, thanks for the explanation.

Actually the guy flew was not me. And I have not studied the chart of EDDF either. He posted his expeirence in VATPRC's forum which supprised me and that's why I "copied" here for an answer.

I'm gonna forward your answer to him.

Anyway, thanks mate.

Sam

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Sam,

Johan has already answered some of your questions. There are 2 motorways next to Frankfurt airport, A5 and A3

Regarding the taxiways: your pilot may have used an older scenery, because Frankfurt has renamed all of its taxiways a couple of years ago and that's why he may have had a discrepancy. The airport charts that VATSIM Germany provides for Frankfurt contain BOTH the old and the new names of its taxiways: http://www.vatsim-germany.org/airport/EDDF

Sam Chen 1226141
Posted
Posted

Hi Andreas, thanks very much.

I know at least he used an old scenery of EDDF. ATC [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned him 25C while he finally realized it was 25R in his FSX. I'm sure he referred an old chart too.

Now everything makes sense.