You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Question about ATC procedures

Nicholas Hurford 1196952

Nicholas Hurford 1196952
Posted
Posted

Hello Vatsim

First off, apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. (If so mods please move)

I'm planning on flying into the Portland Overload on the 25th (http://forum.vatusa.net/index.php?act=calendar&cal_id=2&code=showevent&event_id=1748), but since it's my first time flying into a crowded event I want to make sure I get the ATC right.

So I have a few questions.

1. If there is a Center online do I need to ask permission to begin the step-downs on the STAR I'm using? Or can I just do it? I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume if there's no center it's at own discretion.

2. At what point do I contact Portland Approach? From what I could find on Google, their airspace is a 35 nm radius around KPDX, up to 18000ft. I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume this means I contact them once I'm 35nm form KPDX (Unless handed off by Center of course)

3. An finally after contacting Portland App, do I just keep flying the STAR ( Ill be using MOXEE6), including Altitude Stepdowns until instructed otherwise?

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out, and hope to see you from the Phenom 100's cockpit (*cough* TCAS) in a week and a half.

Regards

Nick

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
since it's my first time flying into a crowded event I want to make sure I get the ATC right.

So I have a few questions.

Kudos to you for seeking out the knowledge ahead of time! One thing I might note from the start: compliance with ATC procedures doesn't change when there's 20 aircraft in a TRACON versus just 2, so hopefully you've at least done some flying in the US (perhaps even in ZSE or into KPDX itself) before the event. That said, on to your questions...

1. If there is a Center online do I need to ask permission to begin the step-downs on the STAR I'm using? Or can I just do it?
The answer to this question is one that answers a lot of questions regarding what to do and when to do it: Do exactly that which you were last cleared/approved to do; no more, no less.

That probably sounds vague, but it's true. Think back many minutes/miles when you first checked in with a center; what did (s)he clear you to do? Among other things, it was hopefully to "Climb and maintain (filed cruise altitude)." And that's what you should be doing here; more aptly, the latter part - maintaining your last cleared altitude. Even if you think the controller forgot about you. Even if your FMS flashes a cute little TOD icon in front of you and tries to lure you into descending without clearance.

Based on the arrival, I'm guessing at some point CTR will tell you to "Cross WENTZ at and maintain 12,000" (plus give the KPDX altimeter if you'll be descending out of the flight levels and/or haven't received it yet... unless you're on the ball and advise having the KPDX ATIS letter *hint* ).

At that point, you should calculate a descent to be level at 12,000 by VANTZ. If you really want to do things by the book (the AIM, that is), you'll also advise center when you're "leaving" your cruise altitude as you start that descent (the "Cross (fix) at..." instruction is a descent at pilot's discretion, after all).

2. At what point do I contact Portland Approach? From what I could find on Google, their airspace is a 35 nm radius around KPDX, up to 18000ft. I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume this means I contact them once I'm 35nm form KPDX (Unless handed off by Center of course)
Perhaps the folks in vZSE have done things differently here than their real-world counterparts, but it would appear their P80 TRACON's dimensions are a radius of mostly 30 NM and "owns from the Surface to 15000ft." So, take a look at the STARs and find the crossing restriction (or "expected" crossing restriction) that nears that altitude and you'll probably get an idea where to call them.

For example, here's a graphic depicting the P80 TRACON (it's the outer-most jagged circle) as well as a few of the arrival gates (including VANTZ which serves STARs including the MOXEE arrival):

c58ec6b4d6.png

3. An finally after contacting Portland App, do I just keep flying the STAR ( Ill be using MOXEE6), including Altitude Stepdowns until instructed otherwise?
For one, the MOXEE is a non-profile STAR, meaning there aren't any "step-down" altitudes. For another, it goes back to my first answer above: Do what you were cleared to do; nothing more, nothing less. If all you heard was "Cross VANTZ at and maintain 12,000", then you don't leave 12,000 until you receive a different clearance. Since we're talking about a non-profile arrival, that clearance won't, for example, be to "Descend via the MOXEE6 arrival". Instead, I imagine PDX_APP will be manually issuing step-down altitudes as aircraft are vectored/sequenced for the approach.

In terms of lateral navigation, again - back to what you were cleared to do. Way back before your wheels left the ground, a delivery controller hopefully cleared you using the MOXEE6 arrival (either via a full route clearance or by an abbreviated - "... then as filed" - clearance). Unless Center (or Approach) has initiated a vector sequence (and hopefully remembered to advise you of the reason) or altered your IFR clearance, then yes, even after checking in with approach, you'll continue to do what the chart says for the MOXEE6 arrival. For example, you'll note that the chart specifically ends with a heading and to expect vectors (not to proceed direct to KPDX after OCITY just because your FMS/GPS ran out of waypoints ).