You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot over network question

Mark Wolpert

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

I generally connect to Vatsim over a network with the vPilot (and previously FSInn) on the client. When using FS2Crew this is impossible because FS2Crew needs to interact with the pilot's (me) voice on the FSX computer. With FSInn I can run copilot on the FSX computer and FSInn on the client computer and be able to see the FSInn screen but talk through the main FSX computer. I tried this with vPilot but it just disconnects so wondering if there is a way this can be done, or if I can be added in the future. thanks,

847924.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I generally connect to Vatsim over a network with the vPilot (and previously FSInn) on the client. When using FS2Crew this is impossible because FS2Crew needs to interact with the pilot's (me) voice on the FSX computer. With FSInn I can run copilot on the FSX computer and FSInn on the client computer and be able to see the FSInn screen but talk through the main FSX computer. I tried this with vPilot but it just disconnects so wondering if there is a way this can be done, or if I can be added in the future. thanks,

When you say you tried it with vPilot but "it just disconnects", what do you mean by that? What exactly did you try?

Note that vPilot must be running on the same machine that your microphone is plugged into, so you can't do what you did with FSInn where vPilot is on a remote machine and the mic is plugged into the FSX machine. (There is no equivalent of copilot for vPilot.)

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted
There is no equivalent of copilot for vPilot.

But if there were, and you developed it, would you call it vCopilot?

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

I opened two version of vPilot, once on each computer. My issue with vPilot on the main FSX computer is that I fly in full screen mode so I cannot use vPilot for unicom chat.

847924.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I opened two version of vPilot, once on each computer.

Yeah, you can't do that because that would cause two connections to VATSIM, which is not allowed. (Not to mention the fact that you would be creating two copies of your aircraft for other pilots and controllers. And both copies of vPilot would be trying to inject duplicate copies of other aircraft into your FSX session.)

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the explanation Ross. While I prefer the ease of use and superior model matching that vPilot provides, I guess I will have to use FSInn when I fly with FS2Crew.

847924.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the explanation Ross. While I prefer the ease of use and superior model matching that vPilot provides, I guess I will have to use FSInn when I fly with FS2Crew.

Yeah, I guess so ... also keep an eye on the new client currently under development (Swift) ... I'm not sure if they plan to support having the main client on a remote machine while the voice stuff is on the FSX machine, but I do know they are intending Swift to be a very feature-full client, so they'd probably be open to the idea of adding that functionality if they're not already considering it.

In the meantime, would it be an option for you to have a desktop boom microphone hooked up to the FSX machine for controlling FS2Crew, while having your headset connected to the remote machine running vPilot?

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

In the meantime, would it be an option for you to have a desktop boom microphone hooked up to the FSX machine for controlling FS2Crew, while having your headset connected to the remote machine running vPilot?

Probably an option I should look into.

847924.png

• 8 months later...
Corne Kleppe 929124
Posted
Posted

Hello everyone,

I have switched from FS9(FSInn) to FSX (vPilot) last week. I have a 737 Sim and want to run vPilot in Remote and the client on my laptop but the voice stuff on my FSX PC. Is this allready possible?

Corné Kleppe

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I have switched from FS9(FSInn) to FSX (vPilot) last week. I have a 737 Sim and want to run vPilot in Remote and the client on my laptop but the voice stuff on my FSX PC. Is this allready possible?

No, the VATSIM voice data comes in to the PC running vPilot, so your headset must be plugged into that PC.

Corne Kleppe 929124
Posted
Posted

Ok thanks for the fast reply! Then i have to stick with FSInn Its not the best solution to have voice on the laptop.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
Its not the best solution to have voice on the laptop.

I've not tried it personally, but you might be able to use something like PulseAudio to stream your mic from one computer to another.