You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

EuroScope 3.1D on Mac (Yosemite) working!

Frédérick Durand 1017436

Frédérick Durand 1017436
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone!

First of all, let me start by saying that the threads on the subject are quite limited, and rather contradictory. Hence, I believed it would be an excellent idea to share how I made it work for me. I have been trying to make EuroScope work on my Mac for the past six months, without much success.

Wine? I tried it, and I'm not too much of a geek when it comes to computers (Mac or Windows). Therefore, too complicated to setup and too many ways in which it can fail. I followed the guide that Andrew Harle posted on VATPAC's forum, and then the follow up by Hayden McClure. I was able to install EuroScope but then, it was going to be too complicated to install the sector files from the Mac Terminal and what not so I abandoned the idea.

Bootcamp? what's the goal of rebooting on Windows if the goal is to use EuroScope while being on Mac? That's how I see this, therefore that wasn't an option as far as I was concern. Besides, this option is easy to setup anyways.

Then, the last option I found was to install Parallels with Windows 8.1. For sure, you'll have to spend +-80$ for Parallels and then you'll have to buy Windows 8.1. However, if like me you just want this to work, it is still cheaper than to buy a new Windows computer.

Here's what I did...

1. Install Parallels on your machine with Windows 8.1

2. Install Euroscope 3.1d

3. Install whatever sector files you need for your FIR

4. Then, head over to the menu bar of the Windows 8.1 window and click on Actions, then Configure, then click the Hardware tab, then Mouse and Keyboard on the left hand side, then where it says Keyboard, you need to select Optimize for Games

5. You now have a working EuroScope on Mac using Parallels

My specs:

OS X Yosemite version 10.10

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB

Hope it works for those of you ever interested! If you have any questions, don't hesitate, I'll try to help as much as my knowledge allows it.

Cheers!

Frederick