You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot connection help

Daniel Strout 1307415

Daniel Strout 1307415
Posted
Posted

downloaded vpilot and also the connectsim. I'm sure it is a great program once you understand what the rules for model matching, but all i can say is that i read everything twice, and filled out everything i know of with FSX running and still the connect button don't light up. you have a option to save or load your info. , but it just goes to a folder, its like you can't load it. I also have to find out what the epuipment suffix letter would be for a 172. I down loaded the FSX default for rule sets, and it put it in the other window, but down below all it show is the airbus as a default. Wish i was so ignorant on this stuff. One route to you just type in one airport and going to another airport? I also didn't see a place to to a call sign. Its probably something simple that i'm doing wrong, but darned if i can get to connect to light up... Don't like being such a pain on this, but just trying to get everything going. thanks for any help on the subject.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

If the connect button is greyed out, that means vPilot can't make a connection with your simulator.

Do you have FSX Service Pack 2 installed or are you using FSX Acceleration? Were you already in Free Flight mode (e.g. you'd picked and aircraft, selected a location, and clicked "FLY NOW!")?

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I split this topic off from the SB Help forum and put it into vPilot Help.

Brad's right, please confirm you either have FSX SP2 or Acceleration; they are required to use vPilot.

Also, please confirm if the connect button was grayed out, or if it simply wasn't lit.

The callsign gets entered after you click on the Connect button

http://vpilot.metacraft.com/Docomeentation.aspx#connecting

See equipment suffix table below. I'll go out on a limb -- if you're using the default C172 WITHOUT updating the GPS, your suffix would be /A. If you HAVE updated the FSX GPS (using the sors.fr program, or similar), it would be /G.

The default for FSX in vPilot is the A321. It doesn't mean that all you'll see is the A321. Only aircraft you don't have AI configured for in vPilot will show up as the A321. For example, say you and I are sitting on the ramp at an airport. I connected as a Delta B738. If you have AI that includes a Delta B738 (such as WOAI, or a payware package, etc.), and you configured your model matching in vPilot to use that AI package, you'll see me as a Delta B738. If you DO NOT have any AI, and/or HAVE NOT configured vPilot to "see" your AI, you'll see me as a plain white A321.

List of FAA Aircraft Equipment Codes For US Domestic Flights

NO DME

/X No transponder

/T Transponder with no Mode C

/U Transponder with Mode C

DME

/D No transponder

/B Transponder with no Mode C

/A Transponder with Mode C

TACAN only

/M No transponder

/N Transponder with no Mode C

/P Transponder with Mode C

Basic RNAV

/Y LORAN, VOR/DME, or INS with no transponder

/C LORAN, VOR/DME, or INS, transponder with no Mode C

Advanced RNAV with Transponder and mode C

/L RNAV capability with Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS), including GPS or Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS) with en route and terminal capability, and with RVSM

/G RNAV capability with GNSS and without RVSM

/Z RNAV capability without GNSS and with RVSM

/I RNAV capability without GNSS and without RVSM

RVSM (Reduced Vertical Separation Minimum)

/W RVSM

/L RVSM + /G

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Daniel Strout 1307415
Posted
Posted

I first made sure that in FSX setting under general was disabled for the pause between tasks.. I load FSX , I then choose KHRO (Harrison, Ar. Boone country Airport) my home Airport. I then hit fly now which i have changed to window mode so i can load vpilot off of desk top or start menu. I load it with Aircraft at either a parking area or fuel pump so i can get use to never loading it on a taxi way or runway.

I double click vpilot, its loads up with a buzz and it says 11 servers found. When I load it, it temporarily freezes FSX until i minimize it. When i minimize it FSX goes back to normal. The connect button is black with a grey boarder and grey letters. Ident looks the same as connect, and the com1 and com2 are white letters with the boxes being black with a grey boarder. At the top left, it says mode c in white letters. This is in the Controller Range List area.

center

Approach/Departure

tower

ground

clearance delivery

ATIS

Observers

I think i got FSX about 3 or 4 years ago, and have never updated anything. Feel pretty Dumb about all this, but the only way to know is to ask, and you guys are all over it... thanks

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

You're doing great! Next, click the connect button, and see what happens!

You should get a window that looks something like

ConnectWindow.png

All the boxes will be empty. You just put the callsign you'd like (e.g., N1234X) and your type code (e.g., C172), and you'll be off to the next step!

See also: http://vpilot.metacraft.com/Docomeentation.aspx#connecting

Don Desfosse

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

@Don: His Connect button is greyed out (meaning that clicking it will do nothing), which means vPilot can't connect to FSX.

I think i got FSX about 3 or 4 years ago, and have never updated anything. Feel pretty Dumb about all this, but the only way to know is to ask, and you guys are all over it... thanks

Sounds like you might be missing one or both of the updates ("Service Packs") if you never downloaded them after installing FSX. Again, this [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umes you don't have a separately released expansion pack called "FSX Acceleration".

If that's the case, try installing the following two updates (in order):

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Ah, missed the gray letters part -- reading too quickly. Thanks Brad.

Don Desfosse

Daniel Strout 1307415
Posted
Posted

Okay, looks like after loading the sp1 and sp2 updates, i will have to get a new graphics card. When i tried to start FSX it refused to load with an error msg saying i have to have a different graphics card to continue. I have a Dell Inspiron. 530, so i guess i will hunt down the graphics card next. Guess i will try and install it myself once I know what the heck to get. Looks like it will be after Thanksgiving.

Everyone have a great Thanksgiving

Thanks for your help

Daniel Strout 1307415
Posted
Posted

My FSX Error Msg actually says that i have to have a geforce/radeon8500 or greater. Says its not shader supported. Not high enough Shader i guess. Checked with computer guy today and he says it will most likely cost anywhere from 85.00 to 150.00 if another power supply is needed to run the new card. At moment i don't have a couple hundred to drop just so i can to FSX

I know vpilot is the topic, so i will let this go here.. one question before letting this go for now, is do you have to have anything special in order start with being a controller? Do you also need a great graphics card for that also? I'll look to see if there is a topic already going on the subject.

in order to participate in vatsim, do you have to have both sp1 and sp2 , because that's when i got the error msg. Although squawkbox had problems it worked somewhat with out downloading the sp1 and sp2 packs.

Jerry Taylor
Posted
Posted

Hi Daniel,

I'm not sure how old your PC is but sounds like there is more going on. Have you tried updating the drivers for your card? I've had FSX (with SP1 and SP2) installed and running on a 3-4 year old laptop (not my normal machine) and it works fine with the sliders turned down. It keeps me from getting bored in a hotel room when I travel.

Unless you use FSX vanilla (no add-on scenery, no add-on payware aircraft etc.), you'll find that most all your 3rd party add-ons now days WILL require SP1/SP2 along with FSUIPC.

I would check the Dell website to see if any updated drivers are available for your PC.

Also, when you installed SP1, did you boot up FSX before you installed SP2? The recommended method is always install FSX first, start up FSX and load up the generic flight, close FSX and reboot your PC. Then install SP1, start FSX and load up the generic flight then close FSX and reboot. Finally install SP2, start up FSX and enjoy.

Jerry

CEO - Air Logistics

http://virtualairlogistics.org

Daniel Strout 1307415
Posted
Posted

First i want to thank everyone who are doing there best to help me out. I will try the different things you have sent in your post Jerry. Let ya know soon. I'm thinking of doing the controller if i can't get it going, and have to wait a couple of months before throwing a couple of hundred at this. From what i understand its okay to do both.... I'm sure vpilot will work great once i get p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] this problem.

Daniel Strout

Harrison, Ar.