You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Feature Request: UTC Time via dot command

Adam Trzcinski

Adam Trzcinski
Posted
Posted

Dear Ross,

EuroScope displays the current UTC time in the upper frame for easy access. The German CAA has published new rules that requires pilots to verify they have synced their clock to current UTC time and if they cannot sync with onboard GPS or devices, the need to ask ATC for the current time.

To facilitate this, could a dot command be added (.time) that displays the current UTC time pulled from the server or the same sources that EuroScope uses?

VATSIM Germany

www.ftw-sim.de | Fly-The-World economic simulation

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I suspect that Euroscope simply uses the local system time (without time zone offset) in order to show UTC time. That's what my ATC clients do. I could easily do the same with vPilot, but I suspect that would defeat the purpose of your request, which is to ensure that the local clock is in sync with some official source. So, vPilot would have to connect to some third party official source via a web service. Seems like just the sort of "extra bells and whistles" feature that I strive to avoid with vPilot. After all, you could just enable the time sync feature built into Windows and know that your system time is correct, or bookmark one of the many websites that show the current UTC time.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Adam Trzcinski
Posted
Posted

Ok, thanks for the reply!

VATSIM Germany

www.ftw-sim.de | Fly-The-World economic simulation