You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

XSquawkbox Tuning 0.025MHz Freqs?

Steven Perry

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

As a controller tonight, I had an XPlane & XSquawkbox pilot who could not tune an ATC frequency such as 118.025MHz in the same way that MSFS with SB, FSInn, vPilot, etc can tune it. How can XPlane pilots work around this in the future, so I can p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] it along next time I encounter it as an ATC?

MSFS drops the 0.005MHz at the end to make 118.025 into 118.020. Accordingly the controllers set their frequencies to 118.020. MSFS Pilots and controllers are happy as can be.

It seems that XPlane is "superior" in that it tunes exactly the frequency it means to tune, 118.025. However... that 5KHz difference is enough to make a mess out of VATSIM.

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Fairly sure vPilot correctly tunes ATC frequencies like those regardless of whether the controller chose .xx5 or .xx0. I also thought this issue wasn't present in SB4 (but perhaps was there in SB3)...?

So, IMHO, one solution is to punish the users who use poorly written pilot clients and stick with using .xx5 frequencies.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

ive also notice sometimes its the addon that cant do it, not the sim itself. forcing the frequency through the dot commands on the client has always worked for me in those situation. havem try that and see.

.com1 xxx.xxx for com1 (xplane has no com2 from what i understand, or rather xsquawkbox cant use it

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

A little searching revealed this...

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=51870

//123.45

So we will try that next time.

Thanks!

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

Mathew Sutcliffe
Posted
Posted

X-Plane's radios only have the two decimal places, same as MSFS. I've never had any problems using the X-Plane radios on VATSIM. Like Ernesto, I suspect that the problem was with an addon aircraft, not the sim itself.

Ernesto, XSB can use COM2 just fine, receive only.

swift - Developer

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Fairly sure vPilot correctly tunes ATC frequencies like those regardless of whether the controller chose .xx5 or .xx0.

That's correct ... essentially, vPilot ignores the difference between .xx5 and .xx0 when looking for a match between the tuned frequency and a controller's frequency. So a pilot tuning 123.025 would connect to a controller on 123.020, and a pilot tuning 123.020 would connect to a controller on 123.025.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Fred Michaels 1137645
Posted
Posted
.com1 xxx.xxx for com1 (xplane has no com2 from what i understand, or rather xsquawkbox cant use it

Not quite. Comm 2 can be used within X-Plane when using xSquawkbox.

-Fred

Deputy Air Traffic Manager

Miami vARTCC - United States Division (I1)