You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

X-squawkbox - stay invisible?

Andrew Dawson 959391

Andrew Dawson 959391
Posted
Posted

Is it possible to be connected to the Vatsim network via Xsquakbox, see all other traffic but not be seen by other users? I ask this because I want to get some practice in before communicating with ATC, test airport compatibility etc, but not get in anyone else's way!

TIA

Christopher Serio 823884
Posted
Posted

No that's not possible. Don't worry about getting into other people's way. We've all been new before and we all had to learn just like you. Just pick times that aren't extremely busy to do your practice. Fly-ins are not the best times

Christopher Serio,

Developer XTower/AVC/XSB/ACSim (Sweatbox)

667.png

• 3 weeks later...
Michel Verheughe 959873
Posted
Posted

Andrew, while I am a real-life pilot and an old-timer with X-Plane, VATSIM is entirely new to me and I also make my timid first steps, hoping I don't disturb anyone. After talking to my local Norwegian VATSIM ATCC person, I came to the same conclusion as Christopher: We have all been first-timer and we understand. Note that this is also valid for real-life aviation: Never hesitate to ask for info or help. A controller would help you all the way to a safe landing, rather than having to file a noise abatement violation file (two planes crashing makes a lot of noise! .

The first rule of unexpected IMC encounter is Climb, Communicate, Confess and Comply. If you follow the three last ones, you will only make friends!

I also intend to fly slow planes (I own a Kitfox, in real-life) in X-Plane, with friends, using VATSIM as a multiplayer tool. We'll fly from non-existant to little-known small airfields. Whenever we'll fly, I intend to declare: "LN-YLT requests VFR airwork locally!" I am sure the controller in charge will find that a refreshing change from all the SIDs and STARs and be pleased. And if you add a "sandwich sir" (e.g. Sir, affirmative, Sir!) I am sure you will make his day!

Cheers,

Michel

Brad Hosking 910720
Posted
Posted

If you are worried about your first connection I suggest the following...

1. Connect to a semi busy airport and park your A/C at the terminal

2. Sit there and watch for awhile. If your a pilot you will get the hang of what is going on quite quickly. Tune into some different freq's and have a listen to the banter... this is the way that I got into it... and it seems to help

After you feel confident, or if you need to do this a couple of times, do so (remember to squawk standby so as to not affect the controllers) and then for a first flight, something nice and small... don't go larger instantly. Put in your flight plan also that it is your first Vatsim flight... the controllers will and should give you a hand!

That all being said... have fun and read up on the instructional information found on the Vatsim website. The forums are designed for questions so if you have any fire away!

Brad

4531.png

world13-2.png