You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Decent Weather Engines

Rob Gallavan

Rob Gallavan
Posted
Posted

Getting back into FSX after a two year break and a new CPU operating system. I've never been particularly thrilled with the default engine in FSX, especially when flying online. I know the FSInn weather feature is faulty as well.

I researched weather engines in the VATSIM forum quite extensively, but the last post I can find on the topic is from 2004. Any recommendations on weather engines that are compatible with FSInn when I fly online? REX looks good but from what I heard it doesn't update very much, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

I use Active Sky Next and recommend it.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

There are several good weather engines out there, some payware (e.g. Active Sky Next) and at least one freeware that I can think of (FSRealWX). I know dozens of pilots that fly with Active Sky Next, and they all recommend it.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Rob Gallavan
Posted
Posted

Thank you.

Joshua Black
Posted
Posted

+3 Active Sky Next

And for the record, downloading realworld weather directly out of FSX is no longer updated weather... at least from what I've noticed. I don't think the server that FSX always downloaded weather from is no longer in service.

Joshua Black

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted
I don't think the server that FSX always downloaded weather from is no longer in service.

Correct, Microsoft's subscription expired and they stopped renewing after they terminated support for FSX.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I think it's restored in FSX:SE

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101