You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Flying through NewYork Ocanic

Michael Nikel

Michael Nikel
Posted
Posted

Hello,

i'am pretty fit flying on North Atlantic Tracks but what keeps me in mind is how to exactly fly a route between the Eastcost and e.g. the Caribean.

For Example flying from Toronto to Bridgetown with NY Oceanic Online.

This is the particular Route. From JFK it almost complete Overwater.

KEPTA1 BMPAH AEVON EXTOL Q140 ARKKK JFK L461 FATON L461 LINND SQUAD DARUX L459 DASER PIREX L462 LAMKN UL462 ANU UA632 BGI

At which time do i have to contact NY Oceanic for my clearance and which infos are need within this clearance request?

How do i know which is my Entry Point / Exit Point? Do i need to do a position Report at every Waypoint i'am crossing?

I know much questions but i would like to be sure.

Thanks and Greetings

Michael

Joshua Black
Posted
Posted

That route doesn't enter into New York Oceanic airspace... you are still within Jacksonville ARTCC radar coverage.

Joshua Black

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted (edited)
That route doesn't enter into New York Oceanic airspace... you are still within Jacksonville ARTCC radar coverage.

Uh... hwhat?! Either your map is broken, or SkyVector's is (and the ZJX SOP, for that matter, since it appears to match SkyVector's world charts), because the route Michael posted remains 500+ NM east of ZJX's northeastern-most border. Also note that "SQUAD" (directly taken from the FP) sits on/near the ZNY/ZWY airspace boundary.

@Michael: I'm no ZNY/ZWY controller, nor do I purport to be any authority on the matter, but from my understanding...

At which time do i have to contact NY Oceanic for my clearance and which infos are need within this clearance request?

No oceanic clearance is needed/used.

If you have ATC coverage prior to entering oceanic airspace, you'll receive a normal handoff just as you could when p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing any other ARTCC/FIR boundary (including the fact that you'll remain on a discrete beacon code). If you don't, do the same as you would do when nearing a non-oceanic ARTCC's/FIR's boundary - monitor your position and call the next controller a minute or two before reaching his/her border.

How do i know which is my Entry Point / Exit Point?

Given that there is no OC, I don't think you need to determine this. Could be wrong - not sure on that one.

Do i need to do a position Report at every Waypoint i'am crossing?

Not sure on this one either. It does appear that reporting over "NXXWXX" (raw lat/lon) waypoints is mandatory, but since you're under radar control you shouldn't need to advise reaching compulsory reporting points (SQUAD, DARUX, DASER, etc.). Even for the lat/lons (which doesn't apply to you), you'd only need to advise arriving at them - no need to bother with time estimates.

Edited by Guest

Joshua Black
Posted
Posted

...I don't know what happened. I could've swore that I copy and pasted a route into simbrief from above and saw it go through ZJX.

Unless it got edited after I posted. I don't know. Maybe I'm just losing it.

Joshua Black

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted

First, that route absolutely goes through New York Oceanic airspace. As to your questions there are a couple of very simple answers. One, no, you will not need Oceanic clearance. Check out this link to see the NOTAM explaining that. http://www.ifalpa.org/store/13SAB005%20-%20NOTAM%20A0017-13%20-%20Change%20in%20New%20York%20Center%20Oceanic%20Clearance%20Procedures.pdf

Next, presuming that ZNY CTR is online you will have been radar contact well before you cross the JFK VOR. As you approach LINND you will be handed of to ZWY, the New York Oceanic/Radio controller. At this point you have two choices. He will either continue to track you on radar as any other CTR controller would, or you could request filing position reports for the duration of your trip. The option is yours, because taking position reports west of 060 degrees is fairly new on VATSIM many pilots are not used to doing it, so we will generally accommodate whichever choice the pilot makes.

You other questions, how when and where are best answered by the Oceanic controller. There is no better way to learn how to do it then to ask him as you fly through the airspace. He will be very happy to help you. I hope this answers your question.

Ira Robinson

ZWY Controller

Ira Robinson