You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ES developers, PLEASE help us with a new pilot client!

Mark Wilson 811535

Mark Wilson 811535
Posted
Posted

ES is fantastic, a great program and a team still developing it constantly, the only developers doing so right now.

The thing is, all your efforts are based on merging what you have into non-supported pilot software, making it limiting and so less productive for you.

I wish I had kept up with the times and could pre-develop or even suggest a way too make a pilot client in tandem with ES, rather than the undeveloped pilot systems we have now.

Suggestion, please please develop a new pilot connection software that incorporates what we have, with the latest voice software available!

We desperately need better voice, the rest is ok, unless you feel it isn't

Mark Wilson

Vatsim-UK Member

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
ES is fantastic, a great program and a team still developing it constantly, the only developers doing so right now.

Mark, I'm a bit confused by your post. There are two other development teams that are currently active. One is made up of myself (plus the immensely helpful beta teams that I work with) and the other is the swift pilot client team. I have two ATC clients and one pilot client in active development, and the swift team is actively developing another pilot client, one that is cross platform and will eventually be open source.

The thing is, all your efforts are based on merging what you have into non-supported pilot software, making it limiting and so less productive for you.

I don't understand what this means at all. What do you mean when you say all their efforts are based on merging with pilot software?

I wish I had kept up with the times and could pre-develop or even suggest a way too make a pilot client in tandem with ES, rather than the undeveloped pilot systems we have now.

Are you aware of vPilot and swift? I realize swift hasn't been released yet, but given that we have two actively-developed pilot clients, your mention of "undeveloped pilot systems we have now" is strange.

Suggestion, please please develop a new pilot connection software that incorporates what we have, with the latest voice software available!

If your issue is that you want to see VATSIM's voice infrastructure improved, I can [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ure you that you are not alone in that desire.

Don't get me wrong ... there's nothing wrong with your appeal to the ES developers to start a new pilot client project ... it just seems that you aren't aware of the other projects that exist.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Mark Wilson 811535
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross,

You are like the mega developer for us, so many thanks go to you

Vpilot yes, many thanks for that, Swift no, so now we have a choice of 4 pilot systems, and soon, 3 controller systems?

Thing is, we have FSInn, SB and Vpilot and guessing Swift are having to adapt to an old voice system, kind of counter productive!

We need a new look into the pilot software along with ES developers and you VRC guys to bring a new universal up-to-date voice system that works better, is clearer as with TS3 or Skype etc.

Mark Wilson

Vatsim-UK Member

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
so now we have a choice of 4 pilot systems, and soon, 3 controller systems?

Currently 4 pilot clients: FSInn, Squawkbox, XSquawkbox, and vPilot. We'll have 5 when swift is released.

Currently 4 ATC clients: ASRC, VRC, EuroScope, vSTARS. We'll have 5 when vERAM is released.

We need a new look into the pilot software along with ES developers to bring a new universal up-to-date voice system that works better, is clearer as with TS3 or Skype etc.

Yes, like I said, we're all wanting improvements to the voice system. And it's not just the ES devs that would need to be involved ... ALL of our client software would need to be updated.

Personally I think TS3 and Skype are too high-fidelity ... they don't sound like real VHF voice comms. I think we need something in between what we currently have and TS3/Skype quality. And we need to improve latency so that people aren't inadvertently stepping on each other so much.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

If we did nothing else but improve latency, that would be a 20,000% improvement! Voice latency is probably my biggest beef with the VATSIM infrastructure. If I knew how to help, I would.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Merik Nanish 1184142
Posted
Posted

I agree with Don 100%.

I wish VATSIM, like many other non-for-profit, community projects, would open its doors to more developers though. I understand that part that VATSIM doesn't want every person to write a program and potentially break the whole network. However, I don't understand why all other parts of VATSIM related programs (except for the part that actually directly talks to the server) cannot be open-sourced? Or even if closed-sourced, at least publicly explained.

Don, when you demand a way to improve voice latency, the first thing that comes to mind is "what technology/protocol is VATSIM using right now?" That is a question that I am sure many people on this forum can answer. Many more than just three development groups.

Just my 2 cents.

NYARTCC Facility Engineer and Instructor

255qao8.png

Bradford Lee
Posted
Posted
Don, when you demand a way to improve voice latency, the first thing that comes to mind is "what technology/protocol is VATSIM using right now?"

It's a proprietary server/client platform called VVL, Vatsim Voice Library. Since it's proprietary it can (and I believe is) bound under the NDA terms for members who wish to develop software for VATSIM.

Similar topic here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43765

Brad Lee

spacer.png

ZJX ARTCC

Colin Schoen
Posted
Posted

Based off of roger wilco if I remember correctly.

Colin Schoen

VATSIM Senior Network Supervisor