You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Help -- I am unable to install Xsquawkbox in Ubuntu

David Lont 1306954

David Lont 1306954
Posted
Posted

Hello, I would love to fly in Vatsim using Ubuntu instead of Windows (since its faster), but I am unable to make Xsquawkbox work in Ubuntu. I am using X-Plane 9. Can anyone tell me how to install Xsquawkbox and which files in Ubuntu using X-Plane 9?

Thank you for your help!

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

i believe the current version of Xsquawkbox is for Windows, not sure if youll need to run it through Wine to get that to work. i dont use Xplane so not sure how xSquawkbox works. havent been able to get any of the VATSIM clients to work on Ubuntu.

David Lont 1306954
Posted
Posted
i believe the current version of Xsquawkbox is for Windows, not sure if youll need to run it through Wine to get that to work. i dont use Xplane so not sure how xSquawkbox works. havent been able to get any of the VATSIM clients to work on Ubuntu.

But I know it should work! X-Plane is also made for Linux and Xsquawkbox also has a package for it. I just can't figure how to make it work. But thank you for replying.

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

XSB is available for Windows, Linux, and Mac. Unlike vPilot and similar clients, it's internal and therefore cannot be run with wine.

Did a google search, apparently there are problems installing it with Ubuntu.

Make a post on the XP forums, they would probably have more information for you

Mathew Sutcliffe
Posted
Posted

Because you are using X-Plane 9, you would gain no benefit by using the latest version of XSB, for which no Linux build exists anyway. You can get the previous version (1.0.6) for Linux here.

Extract the zip, then copy the contents of the "for plugins folder" directory into your "X-Plane/Resources/plugins" directory.

swift - Developer

David Lont 1306954
Posted
Posted
Because you are using X-Plane 9, you would gain no benefit by using the latest version of XSB, for which no Linux build exists anyway. You can get the previous version (1.0.6) for Linux here.

Extract the zip, then copy the contents of the "for plugins folder" directory into your "X-Plane/Resources/plugins" directory.

I did do that already but below the "plugins" tab in the X-Plane menu the plugin is not listed as when it is installed correctly. I put everything in the "for plugins folder" for XSB 1.0.4.

Has anyone successfully installed XSB in a Linux computer using X-Plane??? If so, please let me know how you did it!

• 2 weeks later...
David Lont 1306954
Posted
Posted

Well, problem not yet solved. I guess I'll have to ask in the X-Plane forums. But if you [the reader] do have a way to make it work, please tell me!

• 2 months later...
Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted
Well, problem not yet solved. I guess I'll have to ask in the X-Plane forums. But if you [the reader] do have a way to make it work, please tell me!

Please check your X-Plane directory for a "Log.txt" file - you should see information in there about why XSquawkBox failed to load.

As you're using X-Plane 9 with an old release of XSB, I suspect you've run into a library related issue.

If you can't work out which library is missing or mismatched from the Log.txt, drop me an email (see the 1.3 Beta thread) with the Log file attached and I might be able to advise you on what to try next.

Unfortunately X-Plane 9 is not compatible with the latest SDKs so there won't be any new releases of XSB for X-Plane 9.

XSquawkBox - Developer/Maintainer

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

David Lont 1306954
Posted
Posted

Thank you for replying. This is what the Log.txt says:

lerror:libidn.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Failed: /home/david/Desktop/X-Plane 9/Resources/plugins/XSquawkBox_VATSIM.xpl. (This file is missing, not a DLL or could not be loaded due to another missing DLL.)

What do you suppose the problem is? Have you ever made XSB work on Linux?

Although I would love to fly on Ubuntu since it's faster, X-Plane also does not detect my joystick! So for now I'll keep flying in Windows. It would be grate to fix all this though.

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted

That message tells me it's failing to load because it can't find the version of libidn it was linked against.

If you're using a 64-bit (amd64) Ubuntu installation, you can install this using: apt-get install libidn11:i386.

On a 32-bit (i386) Ubuntu install, you can fetch it using apt-get install libidn11

XSquawkBox - Developer/Maintainer

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

David Lont 1306954
Posted
Posted

Thanks Christopher! I have 64-bit amd. I'll install the package and let you know. (But I'll have to do that another time because it's late here.)

David Lont 1306954
Posted
Posted

Well... Now when X-Plane tries to load XSB it crashes! And the Log.txt goes crazy.... I'll try to figure out what's going wrong. Does anyone have any idea what to do???