You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

X-Plane airport locations inaccurate?

Arthur Bickel

Arthur Bickel
Posted
Posted

I'm new to VatSim. I tried connecting to the server at Pafos, Cypress (LCPE), using the Ramp Start Location on X-plane. This seemed to take me to the end of RWY 11, not to a ramp. Indeed, the x-plane version of this airport only shows a taxiway and a runway -- no ramp at all. So I moved the plane to the taxiway to get it off the runway.

However, the controller still objected and told me not to connect while on the runway. I told him there wasn't any ramp on my x-plane airport diagram (unlike the real airport), but I don't think he believed me. In the end I just gave up and disconnected.

As a new user, have I missed something, or perhaps this is a known problem with X-plane at certain non-US locations?

ASB

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Most of XP's "Ramps" are holding short of the runway or something similar.

I would recommend that you find some form of scenery (freeware works fine) and then start up on an actual ramp/gate/stand.

If you can't find any way of starting at the airport and not being on the runway, your easiest fix is not to connect until you are off a runway and/or taxiway.

Mathew Sutcliffe
Posted
Posted

Welcome to Vatsim. There are just a few rules, to make sure everyone can enjoy the network. It's your responsibility to make sure you're not on a runway before connecting to the network, and not just trust what some software tells you. If your simulator can only place you on a runway, that's not really an excuse, as you can just taxi to a different position before you connect. (Or, in X-Plane's "local map", drag the airplane symbol to reposition/slew.)

Many smaller airports in X-Plane's default scenery just have the runways and some fictional parallel taxiways. In those cases, the so-called "ramp start" will put you in the middle of the longest runway.

swift - Developer

Fred Michaels 1137645
Posted
Posted

And worst case, after you start X-Plane and get to your airport, bring up the map...zoom in...and move the aircraft. May need to "reset" it after, but once you are not in the middle of a taxiway or runway, then connect to VATSIM and you should be all set.

-Fred

Deputy Air Traffic Manager

Miami vARTCC - United States Division (I1)