You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Selective removal of traffic?

Magnus Meese

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

I've been enjoying cross-country flying with a small group of friends recently, smashing landing gears on any and all gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] and gravel strips we can find. In doing so, we really experience the VATSIM delay for what it is, not being governed by the separation regulations of IFR and/or controlled airspace. It can be frustrating at times, so in light of the recent observer mode and its ability to ignore the guy with the similar callsign, I was wondering if you could add a function to the debug window where you can block out aircraft for the remainder of the session, allowing for people in groups (military, VFR group flights, etc) to exclude each other on VATSIM and connect via multiplayer to aleviate the latency? This used to be the greatest "hidden feature" of VATSIM many years ago in the FS9-days when I was an avid mil-simmer, it would be great to see it again.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure I understand what you're describing ... are you saying some pilots would be connected to an FSX multiplayer server and VATSIM at the same time?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

he might be talking about an FSINN feature. it allows the user to selectively remove users from being viewable on their end, as well as allows users to select peer to peer position updates.

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Yes. Say you are three guys flying in formation, you need something else than VATSIM to provide the position data for the three of you. FSInn had peer-to-peer, but I suspect this function is a bit too much for a client that is supposed to be plug-and-play. As VATSIM doesn't generate a MP-session in FSX like it did in FS9, you can actually connect to an MP server while on VATSIM. We have done this a few times, and it works well, except that when you look over your shoulder, you see 1 up of every single traffic in the area, as every VATSIM-connected pilot who joins the MP, also brings with him all the VATISM traffic to the MP. It was quite interesting to fly 3 F-16s and one tanker, followed by 12 VATSIM-models of ourselves 1-2 nm behind us. I'll emphasize that this does not affect VATSIM or other traffic, only those connected to the multiplayer. So, if a function to hide a callsign untill you disconnect could be hidden away in the .debug somewhere, that would make it possible to fly off someone's wing or land in tight sequence on a tiny gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] field in the middle of nowhere while having real-time position updates, not the latency that comes from being churned through a system designed to handle more than a 1000 aircraft at the time.

EDIT: A sudden thought struck me, I'll try to see if it's possible to set Aircraft to show = 0 in settings for everyone but 1 of the guys on the MP-server, and see if that makes everyone able to see each other and other VATSIM traffic the correct ammount of times. Will report back with results.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I hope you got a screenshot of that m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive military movement! That would be cool to see!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I was looking for that picture, seems I only kept the ones without the swarm I'll see if some of the other guys have it.

Setting max aircraft to display = 0 provokes an unhandled excemption that crashes vPilot when you connect (or when you set it after connected and delete the last aircraft in your debug list), at least on the latest beta build (with observer). Ignoring it just makes it pop up again the next second. Not sure if vPilot keeps sending data correctly even with the error, but it's still obstricting normal usage of things like FP and settings (in that it pops up again at once).

System.InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains no elements

at System.Linq.Enumerable.Last[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)

at bn.a(String A_0, bg A_1)

at bx.a(Object A_0, c6 A_1)

at cl.a(String A_0, bg A_1)

at cl.a(Object A_0, DataReceivedEventArgs`1 A_1)

at n.v.a(Object A_0)

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
EDIT: A sudden thought struck me, I'll try to see if it's possible to set Aircraft to show = 0 in settings for everyone but 1 of the guys on the MP-server, and see if that makes everyone able to see each other and other VATSIM traffic the correct ammount of times. Will report back with results.

Wouldn't that 1 person still see duplicates of the other pilots, because he'd be getting them from both the MP session and from VATSIM?

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Ah, yes, it probably will.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Magnus, give this version a try:

http://vpilot.metacraft.com/[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ets/Files/Installers/vPilot-Setup-1.1.5596.33514.exe

This is mostly untested code that I threw together in the last hour, so if you have any problems with it, just reinstall the version you're currently using, and let me know.

This test version adds the ability to manage an "Ignore List" for the duration of your vPilot session. The ignore list will be cleared if you restart vPilot. (It will NOT be cleared if you disconnect and reconnect to VATSIM.)

To add a callsign to your ignore list, use the .ignore command:

.ignore AAL123

You can specify multiple callsigns to ignore at once:

.ignore AAL123 JBU456 DAL7890

To stop ignoring an aircraft:

.unignore JBU456
.unignore AAL123 DAL7890

To clear the ignore list:

.ignore none
.unignore all

To view the list of aircraft you are currently ignoring, use either command with no parameters:

.ignore
.unignore

You can also ignore aircraft by pressing the new "Ignore" button on the Aircraft tab of the .debug window.

Note that when you remove an aircraft from the ignore list, it may take up to 10 seconds for that aircraft to reappear while vPilot waits for enough position and model data to arrive from the server for that aircraft.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Can you make me a version that works on my wife?

.ignore wife 

Don Desfosse

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
Can you make me a version that works on my wife?

.ignore wife 

And here she just thought you were being nice by always appending "super" to her name...

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

On second thought, never mind.... I can see it now....

Fatal error
Faulting application name: Don, version 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: AngryWife, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000000 (he ignored me again, doing his flying/ATC stuff, too many times, resulting in a fatal error.....)

Don Desfosse

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Thank you very much for this, Ross! It seems to work exactly as intended, now all that remains is for me to figure out wether one can deactivate the automatic aircraft substitution native to FSX MP. This was a problem I didn't run into last time I tried this, because we didn't have other traffic than ourselves around (and we all had the same models), but FSX will try to substitute all VATSIM traffic as it thinks they are participants in the MP . Enough for tonight, I'll keep investigating in the morning.

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Thank you again for the effor, Ross, it's amazing to get this kind of response and support. Unfortunately I can't get it to work as I wished due to a native MP-gimmick I didn't know about, that wants to display all traffic as default/owned aircraft in addition to the AI models loaded, meaning every traffic gets doubled up. There's a slight chance it could work if I pester P. Dowson into editing his AI-zapper function in FSUIPC, but I feel like making sure that it's not all for nothing first ( )

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Magnus, I'm not following you ... can you elaborate on this MP "gimmick" you described?

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

The FSX MP displays VATSIM-traffic just as expected, only it doesn't seem to want to fully accept that they're not actual players in the MP, so it does this substitute-feature to all of them, one by one, basically meaning that in a matter of minutes, every VATSIM-plane in range will have an FSX simobject aircraft or helicopter attatched to the, in my case, IVAO-model.

For example, the last time I tested this, I started an MP-session in free-mode, went to Gatwick, and logged on at a remote ramp away from traffic. Initially all is well, but FSX is not satisfied with these IVAO-models being left to their own devices, and starts [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igning FSX default CRJs, 737s and A321s left and right, giving every VATSIM-traffic in range a wingman. These new aircrafts popping up are all intra-FSX reactions to the VATSIM-models being added. I have no idea why FSX wants these externally introduced models to have an FSX-[Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned model accompanying it, but it does.

So, in my limited understanding of how FSX are able to display VATSIM traffic, some change has to happen on the FSX side of this in order to make this feature work properly. Mr. Dowson has an "AI zapper" in his FSUIPC software, but it's not optimized for these circomestances, and when I tried to use it to clear out the unwanted models, it also removed the guys I was trying to use the MP with in the first place.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Does that only happen if you have other players in the MP session, or does it also happen when it's just you?

• 2 weeks later...
Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Hi, sorry for the very late reply. It actually does seem to only happen with other players in the MP, at least I've been testing this alone for 20 minutes, and no substitutes has occured. I could've sworn I experienced this at an earlier stage when testing by myself, but I'm starting to think that I simply don't recall correctly. I'll test it again tomorrow to verify.

• 1 year later...
Matt Davies
Posted
Posted

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but can you bring this back for V2? It'd save a lot of headaches for me.

Cheers.

• 11 months later...
Michael Wellner
Posted
Posted
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but can you bring this back for V2? It'd save a lot of headaches for me.

Same for me. We are trying to start a formation-flight on Vatsim, while using JoinFS to connect the pilots/aircrafts for faster connection. But we need to stop vPilot submit the aircrafts allready shown by JoinFS to FSX. There is a delete button in the .aircraft list, but it only deletes the aircraft until the next receiving of the aircraft data. Maybe you could put an ignore-button next to the delete button?

Or it would be really great, if we could get back the .ignore command in the new version of vPilot as in version 1.1.5596.33514 you posted some year ago in this thread.

Thanks,

M.Wellner

BTW: Tx a lot for this masterpiece of Vatsim-Client.