You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Introducing New Pilots to ATC

Kenneth Park 1084266

Kenneth Park 1084266
Posted
Posted

I’d like to use my Euroscope software and ATC experience to help a friend who is a Vatsim pilot that is uncomfortable flying on-line and would like some practical training experience in a non-stressful environment.

My problem is my lack of expertise in the black art of Server setup and the best way to accomplish it.

I’d like to use two of my computers on my own home network as a trial basis … one for Euroscope (ATC) which I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume would be with the FSD server and the other as the FSX Connection as the client (pilot).

There wouldn’t be a scenario but instead an active “full flight” from clearance delivery to engine shutdown.

I have read and re-read the Connection and Architecture wiki’s but there seems to be too many possible options for my comprehension so I thought I would seek help from those on the forum for whom setting this up would be child’s play.

I haven’t been in communication with Gergely for a couple of years and would rather not bother him but if all else fails maybe he will rescue me.

I’m [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming that what I’m trying to accomplish is feasible.

Ken

Sam White 1214219
Posted
Posted (edited)

I will try and talk you through setting it up - this may not work as I have not tried this myself and am basing this off the wiki. I will presume you are using Windows 7, but the procedure should be similar for other Windows versions.

Firstly you will need to have both computers connected to the same network e.g. the same WiFi (although this could be achieved by running a crossover cable between both computers - although you may need to manually set computer IPs if you do this).

When you have done this you need to find out the internal IP address of the computer which will be running the FSD server. For simplicity this will be the computer running EuroScope, but it could be another computer entirely. To do this go to the 'Network and Sharing Centre' and find the name of the network you want to run the server over. Then click on the blue text by the text that says 'Connections:'. See image of the 'Network and Sharing Centre' below.

image26.png

This will open a new dialog box. In this box click on details. In this new window there will be IP addresses for the router/modem and the computer. You want the IP address next to the text 'IPv4 Address' (make a note of it). It should generally be in the form "192.168.1.X" or "192.168.x.X" where "X" (or "x") can be a number from 0 to 254. The details box can be seen below:

network-connection-details.jpg

After you have done this start the FSD server on the EuroScope Computer, and the FSX connector on the FSX computer. Enter the IP address you collected under the "EuroScope FSD server" box in the FSX connector and it should connect to the FSD server (make sure it is allowed through your internal firewall).

When you have done this start EuroScope and connect to the IP "127.0.0.1" or "localhost" under the 'Server' box (by manually typing it into the box) and untick the 'Connect to VATSIM' checkbox. This should be on the "Direct to VATSIM" screen. Then start FSX on the FSX PC and you should be able to see them.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Guest

VATSIM UK S2 Rated (Essex RTS)

Sam%20White.jpg

Kenneth Park 1084266
Posted
Posted

Many thanks for that clear layout Sam ... that's exactly what I needed to get kick-started.

I'll give it a go and get back to you. The only thing that puzzled me a bit is whether I have to move the FSX Connect program over to the computer containing the FSX program or see if it will work from where it is ... on the Euroscope computer.

You've made it look easy ... will advise,

Ken

Kenneth Park 1084266
Posted
Posted

Hello Sam,

I was able to connect to the FSD server on the ES computer from the FSX computer but in order to do so I had to copy the FSX connect.exe to the latter computer. It opened the sim connect and logged onto the FSD server right away which is a major win I would guess ... at least a good start.

But I didn't get any further toward seeing the aircraft on the FSX active runway on ES but that may be just a matter of figuring out the correct moves. We were both at the same airport but maybe the question below has something to do with that.

I was completely lost with how to setup the ES connection dialog and when I hit connect to see what would happen I got the msg that "Vatsim server found while non-Vatsim server requested". I didn't know what to make of this and thought I should ask if you can set me straight on a correct setup of the ES connection dialog for this adventure.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1cygfx7krfzs4be/Connect%20Dialog.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v25ozsgp0a4uqts/Euroscope%20FSD%20Server.png?dl=0

I didn't make any changes to the FSD server and wonder what I can add that would help ... certainly I'm not using prepar3d.

Anyway, appreciate your time and when you get a moment maybe you could see where I'm missing the boat or the airplane!

Ken

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
I was able to connect to the FSD server on the ES computer from the FSX computer but in order to do so I had to copy the FSX connect.exe to the latter computer.

Right, that's what Sam said to do above.

I was completely lost with how to setup the ES connection dialog and when I hit connect to see what would happen I got the msg that "Vatsim server found while non-Vatsim server requested".

Your first screenshot shows you're attempting to connect to the VATSIM SweatBox server. Instead, you'll want to do what Sam said to do above to connect to your local FSD server:

When you have done this start EuroScope and connect to the IP "127.0.0.1" or "localhost" under the 'Server' box and untick the 'Connect to VATSIM' checkbox. This should be on the "Direct to VATSIM" screen.

Kenneth Park 1084266
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reply Bradley but I'm afraid it wasn't helpful and perhaps I didn't explain myself properly.

On the ES Dialogue Connect under the "Server" choice LocalHost or its IP is not available as an option for "Direct to Vatsim" on this version of ES, so to choose it was not possible. I had already tried adding LocalHost/IP as an option to the "ipaddr" file but it would not accept it and as a result it wouldn't display as a choice.

There is a separate file called "ippar_local" in the ES docomeents file which will also not present itself as a choice but you will notice that on the Dialogue page the "Proxy Connection" box contains the server "LocalHost".

I tried Starting the Proxy Server , which responded but would not allow me to make any server choice in the Server Box ... perhaps that means it functioned as the "LocalHost" server ... I'm not sure.

So maybe you can now see where I'm coming from and might have an answer as to how to respond to Sam's instruction to start ES and choose the LocalHost server therein. It beats me as nothing I've tried worked on that instruction.

Presumably, Sam's advice is on target but the question is how do you actually follow it in ES ... what is the correct Dialog choices that would make the option appear so you could choose it.

It seems to me that ES is already connected as the FS Connector says "Euroscope server connected"!

Look forward to your further thoughts,

Ken

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
On the ES Dialogue Connect under the "Server" choice LocalHost or its IP is not available as an option for "Direct to Vatsim" on this version of ES, so to choose it was not possible.

So don't choose it - type it. Just click in the server box and type in 127.0.0.1 or localhost.

Sam White 1214219
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the reply Bradley but I'm afraid it wasn't helpful and perhaps I didn't explain myself properly.

On the ES Dialogue Connect under the "Server" choice LocalHost or its IP is not available as an option for "Direct to Vatsim" on this version of ES, so to choose it was not possible. I had already tried adding LocalHost/IP as an option to the "ipaddr" file but it would not accept it and as a result it wouldn't display as a choice.

There is a separate file called "ippar_local" in the ES docomeents file which will also not present itself as a choice but you will notice that on the Dialogue page the "Proxy Connection" box contains the server "LocalHost".

I tried Starting the Proxy Server , which responded but would not allow me to make any server choice in the Server Box ... perhaps that means it functioned as the "LocalHost" server ... I'm not sure.

So maybe you can now see where I'm coming from and might have an answer as to how to respond to Sam's instruction to start ES and choose the LocalHost server therein. It beats me as nothing I've tried worked on that instruction.

Presumably, Sam's advice is on target but the question is how do you actually follow it in ES ... what is the correct Dialog choices that would make the option appear so you could choose it.

It seems to me that ES is already connected as the FS Connector says "Euroscope server connected"!

Look forward to your further thoughts,

Ken

Sorry! I probably should have been a bit clearer.

On the ES Dialogue Connect under the "Server" choice LocalHost or its IP is not available as an option for "Direct to Vatsim" on this version of ES, so to choose it was not possible.

So don't choose it - type it. Just click in the server box and type in 127.0.0.1 or localhost.

I have updated my original post to reflect this, incase anyone tries to follow it in the future.

VATSIM UK S2 Rated (Essex RTS)

Sam%20White.jpg

Kenneth Park 1084266
Posted
Posted

Hi Brad,

Typing Localhost into the server box was a no go until I changed the Server Connection Mode to "Start Sweatbox Simulator Session" then I followed through on the setup's previously discussed and "voila" everything fell into place with the FSX Connector indicating "Prepar3D simulation started".

I haven't had a chance to see if it will work in terms of seeing the aircraft on the rwy and I wonder if the "real" pilot in this simulation has to sign in to validate himself as a Vatsim member using say VPlane?

Many thanks ... I'm a lot further down the road and as you say this exercise may prove helpful to others in future.

If you have any more thoughts on the simulation procedure please fire away ... you've now attained genius status with me

Kenneth Park 1084266
Posted
Posted

Just for the record I was never able to see the FSX airplane on the same runway as I had set for ES. Everything between the ES server and FS connect indicated that the simulation was in a functional state but I was not able to make it work as an ATC following a real FSX flight.

I thought perhaps the plane would have to load into the FS connect/ES server via VPilot to be visible but that only generated a 6809 error in VPilot and since I am behind a router I tried forwarding that port to the ES computer but it proved unhelpful.

I still think the idea of offering Vatsim pilots ATC exposure training if requested might be appreciated and maybe it will be possible in the future.

My thanks to Sam and Bradley ... they're [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance was very much appreciated.

Ken