You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Around the world in my Cessna 182

Calum Stevens

Calum Stevens
Posted
Posted

Hi guys, I'm currently going round the world in my Carenado C182. Came up with the idea a few weeks ago and though I would just put a post about it. You never know, some of you might even have seen me as I am doing it all on Vatsim. This was the last update as per my post on flight sim forum. http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?290100-Please-help-me-start-my-round-the-world-trip/page3

UPDATE:

Hi folks, just a quick update or "diary" entry if you will.

Here is where I have got to so far.

round.jpg

It's been loads of fun so far, all on Vatsim. Much more than I expected. If you are thinking about doing it then I say go for it!

Notable events:

Leg 4: Bad thunderstorms over northern Iran at night (only time I have flown at night as I did 2 legs in 1 day) made for some exciting flying.

Leg 6: Being threaded in between several heavies by ATC at Dubai airport was a lot of fun

Leg 7: Pakistan, the friendliest pilots I have ever met! just about everyone in Pakistan airspace contacted me privately to say how excited they were to see me in their airspace and wishing me the best of luck, very hospitable indeed. Plenty ATC for me, had TWR, APP and CNTR all the way through Pakistan and many a good chat with the local pilots.

Leg 9: Kathmandu, very interesting approach to the airport, had to dodge mountains left and right as I approached, simply stunning scenery too with the Himalayas to the north.

Leg 10: Big thunderstorms over Burma and Vietnam made for a bumpy hour or so.

Leg 12: Again, m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive turbulence over the south of Japan. Worst I've had but made it to Osaka safety.

Leg 13: Japan. Heard a local (Glasgow) accent on ATC when flying up Japan, messaged him and it was a chap who lives in Japan and has done for the last 19 years I think he said but he originally came from a place just a mile or so from where I live! what are the chances. Anyway he came up to see me in his Cessna and took a couple of snaps and emailed me them. Brilliant stuff. Really makes the trip a lot of fun when things like that happen. You can really see much in the pics (below) but its fun anyway.

2015_05_24_21_07_44_90.jpg

2015_05_24_21_07_28_49.jpg

Had Tokyo CNRT for my whole journey up Japan and he logged off just as I landed so I'm very grateful if he stayed on just for me as it was getting quite late over there.

Very excited about my next leg as it takes me over to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky in the Kamchatka Peninsula which is a very interesting place that should have some cracking scenery. Then it's onto the USA via the Attol Islands!

As I have 4 or so hours to "burn" on each leg I spend my time researching my next destination, both in terms of the location itself, watching youtube videos and reading about the area. (Partly why I am excited about my next leg as it looks really impressive area) and researching and downloading freeware sceneries along the way to bolster the areas I'm flying into. For example I wouldn't even have been able to complete my last leg if not for freeware scenery generously created as the Zonalnoye airport isn't there in default FSX and is crucial to making the journeys up the east of Russia. Much of the scenery has really really impressed me and I will be writing a separate write up about that at the end.

Well thats about it so far. If you like this post let me know, and questions let me know or if you would rather I shut-up and stop bumping this thread then let me know.

Thanks and come see me anytime on Vatsim as "G-LOOM" Ill be online tonight at 16:30z to about 20:30z