You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Taxiing prior to receiving IFR Clearance.

Chad Vienna 1195499

Chad Vienna 1195499
Posted
Posted (edited)

Scenario:

I've just landed IFR at KXXX, a towered U.S. airport (with active VATSIM ATC) and plan to taxi to the departure runway for a IFR departure to KZZZ.

Question:

As I don't yet have a IFR clearance to KZZZ; Rather than taxi to a ramp area; can I request to taxi to a hold or run-up area while I request and await my clearance?

Edited by Guest

Chad Vienna - KCRQ

ZLA Pilot Cert I-09

d_8855.jpg

"The important thing in aeroplanes is that they shall be speedy." — Baron Manfred Von Richthofen

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

From what I've seen other controllers do...and what I personally would do is tell you to expect clearance holding short of the runway...traffic permitting of course so there is no delay for multiple aircraft behind you.

I'm actually curious how they do this in the real world. Might be route dependent (Intra-TRACON vs. Inter-ARTCC).

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

no requirement that i know of that you have to be at the ramp to receive an IFR clearance. work it out with the controllers, theyll tell you whether theyll be able to fit that request or if they prefer you go to the ramp to get it to keep you out of the way of other traffic. if theirs a holding box, even better.

happens sometimes. ive heard people do it at my home field, they start taxiing out and then for whatever reason whether it be deteriorating weather or whatever theyll key up ground and let them know they want to pick up an IFR. if you are small enough, like a cessna, we can fit about a dozen 172's on the side of the taxiway by the runway at our field, we often do for run-ups lol place gets jam packed during peak hours. the big citations can squeeze right in between us to get out.

seen the same for the folks doing their cross countries. rather then taxi to the ramp, they want to get back out quickly and avoid any fees.

Chad Vienna 1195499
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the response guys.

I didn't think that it would/should be a problem unless it would interfere with the movement of other aircraft.

I have seen rw aircraft waiting in the run up area at KCRQ (when the TWR is in operation) awaiting IFR release, which I believe would mean that they are either awaiting clearance; or have a clearance and are waiting for DEP and/or CTR to find a hole in the flow to fit them into.

Chad Vienna - KCRQ

ZLA Pilot Cert I-09

d_8855.jpg

"The important thing in aeroplanes is that they shall be speedy." — Baron Manfred Von Richthofen

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Correct. And done in RW too. I've done it RW dozens of times. Hearing, "Clearance on Request", I've requested taxi clearance and gotten it. Most times, the ground controller will offer the clearance when I arrive at the runup area; occasionally they offer it while taxiing. If single pilot, I just advise that I'll pick it up in the runup area.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Chad Vienna 1195499
Posted
Posted
Correct. And done in RW too. I've done it RW dozens of times. Hearing, "Clearance on Request", I've requested taxi clearance and gotten it. Most times, the ground controller will offer the clearance when I arrive at the runup area; occasionally they offer it while taxiing. If single pilot, I just advise that I'll pick it up in the runup area.

Well Don, that's another great thing about Janet; She's usually going through the taxi and take-off checklist, configuring trim, flaps, and last minute avionics while we're taxiing; leaving me free to utilize the PPT on my yoke, keep a hand on the power levers, and not even having to put my drink down.

Chad Vienna - KCRQ

ZLA Pilot Cert I-09

d_8855.jpg

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

They say jealousy isn't good for the soul... And "they" are probably right... But boy, oh boy, is that awesome!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

Well Don, that's another great thing about Janet; She's usually going through the taxi and take-off checklist, configuring trim, flaps, and last minute avionics while we're taxiing; leaving me free to utilize the PPT on my yoke, keep a hand on the power levers, and not even having to put my drink down.

Lucky Man You Are!

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Luiz Silveira 1080618
Posted
Posted

Or you could get a clearance while airborne, too