You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Changing MoBos

Don Desfosse

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

A few years ago, when I selected my machine and had it built, I selected an OC'able i5-3570K chip (3.4GHz, Turbo Mode 3.8GHz) thinking I was going to OC into the low 4s for FSX. Unfortunately the gentleman who put together my computer chose a MoBo that won't OC (Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2). Although my FSX performance is usually fine, I have added things here or there (mostly scenery) and yesterday got down to 4FPS. Since the day I got the machine and realized the MoBo would not OC, I thought about changing MoBos. But back when I was a pup building machines a couple of decades ago, that was taboo -- the machine would never work right after. A couple of guys have told me recently that you can indeed switch out MoBos. My GPU is a Sapphire 100284L Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0. Question for the community -- Am I better off upgrading GPU or trying a MoBo swap so I can OC a bit? FSX is by far the most (only) intensive program I run. Thanks!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Chad Vienna 1195499
Posted
Posted

4FPS!! Yikes! Think flying FSX with a Viewmaster.

I built a budget PC to be able to run FSX a few years ago and used a AMD A8 3870K 3.0 APU, 8GB of DDR3 1600 RAM, and a Radeon 6570 2GB GPU.

The actual "build" was pretty easy (I found a "how to" video on Youtube). I have the APU Oc'd to 3.5 and the GPU to 700.

I'm no "computer guy" though it would seem that your I-5 is more than capable at 3.4-3.8Ghz and the 5750 is a little on the weak side.

I found the "FSX Bible" http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html a few weeks ago, applied the principles to my system; and I've been very satisfied with the results. In heavy weather my FPS can drop into the low 20's, though they're normally in the mid 30's and overall it's a pretty smooth experience.

Now that I have both the look and feel in the FSX that I like; I rarely check FPS.

Here are my settings:

sys1.jpg

sys2.jpg

sys3.jpg

sys4.jpg

sys5.jpg

Chad Vienna - KCRQ

ZLA Pilot Cert I-09

d_8855.jpg

"The important thing in aeroplanes is that they shall be speedy." — Baron Manfred Von Richthofen

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Thanks very much. I used the bible to tweak my installation a couple of years ago when the machine was new, but have added all sorts of stuff and haven't retweaked. I'll do that. Sorry, should have mentioned, I routinely get in the 28-34 range, but obviously in some more scenery-intense areas, it gets worse. I had never seen it go that low since I was first configuring my FSX, which was made me think of upping the GHz again. Will try to retweak first. Thanks.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

Ive been planning to get a new mobo as well. mine is pretty old now, it runs FSX ok but ive been wanting a little more push for it.

my current specs

Motherboard: ASRock A780FullDisplayPort

AMD Athlon x64 dual core 6000+ 3.12ghz (have it overclocked to 3.2)

RAM: 4gb DDR3 SDRAM

Hard drive: Western Digital SATA2 1TB

External Drive: WD 1TB P[Mod - Happy Thoughts]port

Windows 7 x64 Pro

Video: GeForce GTX 650 2GB

i want to upgrade the mobo with a Z97 and the processor with an I7 4790. those would be my next two upgrades

the bad part is, after talking with microsoft, if i do change the mobo, im going to end up having to purchase windows again or maybe ill qualify for windows 10 now that they are offering free upgrades for win7 and 8 users. im not buying windows 8, too much of a headache

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
the bad part is, after talking with microsoft, if i do change the mobo, im going to end up having to purchase windows again

Aye, Windows' HAL throws a fit when you replace the motherboard. If you have an OEM license, it's technically tied to the motherboard (I think?). Even if not, a given Windows key can only be activated a certain number of times before you've used up all the licenses. However...

Normally you just have to use the telephone option to activate again. If you actually get transferred to a real person during that process, simple, vague explanations ("hardware replacement") usually result in them rattling off the seemingly-endless activation code you punch in to shut Windows up.