You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Cannot connect to UK server

Jonathan Redpath

Jonathan Redpath
Posted
Posted (edited)

- blank (personal data)

Edited by Jonathan Redpath

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Sounds like you might have an outdated server list, as there is no "UK" server (only "UK1"), nor is there a "USA S-3" (only "USA-C", "USA-E", and "USA-W"). Here's the current server list:

ASIA        106.186.24.200
BRAZIL      181.41.210.178
EUROPE-CC   5.9.155.43
EUROPE-CE   212.67.73.150
EUROPE-W    46.252.186.105
OCEANIA     180.200.247.40
UK1         178.79.154.95
USA-C       198.58.118.229
USA-E       97.107.135.245
USA-W       50.116.3.203

As for the lack of ATC... what did you use to verify ATC was online? It's possible that they had disconnected some time before you connected (up to ~4 minutes, since that's about how often the external datafeed is updated). It's also possible that you were either never connected to a valid VATSIM server or perhaps that you were experiencing an issue seen by others (I think with ZoneAlarm firewall?) where their position updates were being blocked/filtered such that the server depicted them at the north pole (and thus didn't send any in-range ATC to their client software).

Jonathan Redpath
Posted
Posted (edited)

- blank (personal data)

Jonathan Redpath
Posted
Posted (edited)

-

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
Oh and if I can do it myself, via editing a file, could you possibly post the server addresses?

You mean the hostnames (versus IP addresses as I provided above)? Those appear to be fairly consistent; just take the name of the server in the list above and append ".vatsim.net" to it. So, for example, "brazil.vatsim.net" and "usa-c.vatsim.net" resolve to the IP addresses I posted above.

Are the servers connected?

Yes... almost always. If any one server gets disconnected from the collective hive mind (oops, wait, this isn't Star Trek...), it's called a "server split" - it's definitely abnormal and not expected. I don't have any statistics, but I'm betting these are actually quite rare nowadays.

And would updating my HOSTS.txt file with those ip addresses work?

That depends on how SB747 is attempting to connect to the servers. If it's using actual hostnames like "usa-s3.vatsim.net", then yes, you could remap those incorrect hostnames to point to actual servers in your "hosts" file (which shouldn't have a ".txt" suffix; if it does, it'll be ignored by Windows). Otherwise, the hostnames of current servers should resolve correctly.

And what port if any?

You shouldn't need to use/correct the port, I imagine (though I admittedly know next to nothing about SB747).

Jonathan Redpath
Posted
Posted (edited)

-