You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

XSquawkBox 1.3.0 Released

Christopher Collins

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted

As promised, the 1.3.0 release for Windows and MacOS X is now available.

Read about it here.

A Linux 1.3.0b2 will be entering closed beta shortly (not accepting new applicants at this stage - but everybody who indicated Linux in the last round of applications will be included).

Enjoy!

XSquawkBox - Developer/Maintainer

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

Duncan White
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the hard work Chris.

I can now fly X-Plane 10 in 64 bit mode & the VATSIM controllers don't hear static anymore when I transmit.

Awesome.

Duncan

Ato Urohman 1327658
Posted
Posted

Install X-CSL why my x-plane always crash?

Tommi Karkkainen 1322309
Posted
Posted

Thank you Chris and everyone who contributed to development and testing. Now the displaying of other planes' callsigns works for me. Helps a lot e.g. when taxiing on busy uncontrolled airports.

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted

Without knowing which operating system you're using, the best I can guess is that If you're attempting to load the full X-CSL library, you're probably exhausting your available memory.

The full X-CSL is 1GB in size on disk - this gets loaded by XSquawkBox in full during initialization.

On my Windows system (which is my main X-Plane test system), When configured to load the full X-CSL, X-Plane is consuming just over 7.4GBs of memory just to get to the QuickFlight Setup - that's before loading any terrain or scenery data. If I proceed and load, say, the FlyJSim 727-200Adv at Kingsford Smith (YSSY), my memory usage peaks out at 9GBs once everything has finished loading and I'm ready to start flying.

By comparison, if I load with just the default models, my installation is only using 700MBs when it reaches the QuickFlight Setup screen, and a lean 2.2GBs when fully loaded with the above scenario.

Generally, you only want to install part of X-CSL unless you have a LOT of RAM and you're extremely patient (it also takes quite a long time to load the full X-CSL).

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

Ato Urohman 1327658
Posted
Posted

Without knowing which operating system you're using, the best I can guess is that If you're attempting to load the full X-CSL library, you're probably exhausting your available memory.

The full X-CSL is 1GB in size on disk - this gets loaded by XSquawkBox in full during initialization.

On my Windows system (which is my main X-Plane test system), When configured to load the full X-CSL, X-Plane is consuming just over 7.4GBs of memory just to get to the QuickFlight Setup - that's before loading any terrain or scenery data. If I proceed and load, say, the FlyJSim 727-200Adv at Kingsford Smith (YSSY), my memory usage peaks out at 9GBs once everything has finished loading and I'm ready to start flying.

By comparison, if I load with just the default models, my installation is only using 700MBs when it reaches the QuickFlight Setup screen, and a lean 2.2GBs when fully loaded with the above scenario.

Generally, you only want to install part of X-CSL unless you have a LOT of RAM and you're extremely patient (it also takes quite a long time to load the full X-CSL).

Thanks for information

Jim Dalgleish
Posted
Posted

I am [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming that there are more capabilities now [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with CSL aircraft as I see mention of "support for newer CSL objects" on the website, but the docomeentation seems to not expand on that. Is there any idea or can you point me in the direction of what features newer CSL objects have? I would like to explore the possibility of creating a CSL set for Helicopters.

Cheers,

Jim

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted
I am [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming that there are more capabilities now [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with CSL aircraft as I see mention of "support for newer CSL objects" on the website, but the docomeentation seems to not expand on that. Is there any idea or can you point me in the direction of what features newer CSL objects have? I would like to explore the possibility of creating a CSL set for Helicopters.

The CSL system is a part of the client I have to admit I barely understand myself right now as all of that functionality comes from libxplanemp - a component we share with the IVAO and PilotEdge client (see https://github.com/wadesworld2112/libxplanemp). In 1.3 we just brought in a fairly important set of changes which fixed rendering, but also added the initial support Ben put together for OBJ based aircraft that are rendered by X-Plane itself (rather than in the libxplanemp code).

To the best of my knowledge (which is not definitive in this area by any stretch of the imagination), there's nothing stopping you from going out today and producing a CSL helicopter using the older format. The updates we brought into 1.3.0, as far as I understand, brings us up to parity with X-IvaP and PilotEdge in terms of support for CSL models.

I will try to throw some docomeentation on the new CSL stuff together in the CSL kit (which I haven't even looked into yet), but I'll have to work this out backwards from Ben's changes at this point - I'm not sure there's any other docomeentation around for this.

Jim Dalgleish
Posted
Posted

Hey Christopher,

First before I forget; THANK YOU for working on xSquawkbox and getting it usable again!!!

Ok, so I was kinda fishing for features that might have been updated like landing lights visible on the ground or aircraft state datarefs, etc...

No worries, I'll keep lurking in the different forums.

Cheers,

Jim

Duncan White
Posted
Posted
Hey Christopher,

First before I forget; THANK YOU for working on xSquawkbox and getting it usable again!!!

Ok, so I was kinda fishing for features that might have been updated like landing lights visible on the ground or aircraft state datarefs, etc...

No worries, I'll keep lurking in the different forums.

Cheers,

Jim

This might interest you.

http://forums.x-pilot.com/topic/6285-howto-using-acfs-instead-of-csls-for-xsquawkbox/