You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VMRGenerator edit and now FSX crashes

Roger Curtiss

• Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

I was making an effort to resolve SimConnect messages I have been receiving for some aircraft models. I opened the VMRGenerator IncorrectAircraftCode.txt file and found a list so I went and changed the atc_model= codes on several of them.

When I then opened FSX it started up with my usual default aircraft and location but when I chose one of the altered atc_model aircraft ( be the Majestic Q400) it crashed FSX (vPilot was not running).

I went back to that aircraft and changed the atc_model= designation back to the DHC8D that was shown on the IncorrectAircraftCode.txt list and that still caused FSX crashes. I went back to the aircraft.cfg and changed the designation to DH8B and then DH8D but in all instances FSX will no longer open, so naturally, I am now in a panic and not sure where to go now to rectify the problem.

Hoping someone can offer some sage advice to talk me off this ledge!

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

VP-Virtual Airlines & Special Ops

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

sounds like your saved flight is corrupt. dont start from a saved flight to prevent that from happening. known problem that happens with some addons, especially payware

• Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

Except that now I cannot even get to the saved flight. FSX crashes as it is starting to load.

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Try renaming the "aircraft.cfg" files that you edited to something else ("aircraft.cfg.backup" or something) so that FSX doesn't try to load that model. Does that fix the crashing?

• Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

Renaming had no effect. FSX begins to load but then I get a 'Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working

A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly" message but with no details as to the nature of the problem.

My fault I suppose for not scheduling a restore point prior to taking this step but I actually thought I knew what I was doing. Ha!

I went into the events log and this is the detail from the latest crash

fsx.exe

475e17d3

ntdll.dll

c0000005

00033ae3

1ce0

01d0d7d2b24c0a77

C:\FSX\fsx.exe

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

fccbbf0f-43c5-11e5-a811-e06995f9b740

I believe the key to diagnosing and fixing the problem may be that it is an ntdll.dll fault.

I did a bit of research on that type of error and find a few products that promise to repair one's computer and fix these faults but I am leery of simply downloading a commercial product without any objective opinions as to whether they are effective and, more importantly, if indeed, this is my problem and that one of these products will provide a solution.

I realize this post may be going beyond the parameters of this forum section and I apologize. Perhaps this should best be continued in another forum such as software issues, however, it does appear that the cause of the problem to begin with was my editing of atc_model definitions for VMRGenerator purposes.

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

Ned Hamilton 1215492
Posted
Posted

Try renaming your fsx.cfg file so that FSX will start from "scratch" with default aircraft and location.

Ned

• Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

Ok. Forcing a new fsx.cfg has got FSX back up and running so that crisis is over.

Thanks for the help.

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

Nico Kaan
Posted
Posted

Hi

Goood to see the crisis is over, but here some observations:

I was making an effort to resolve SimConnect messages I have been receiving for some aircraft models. I opened the VMRGenerator IncorrectAircraftCode.txt file and found a list so I went and changed the atc_model= codes on several of them.

The Simconnect messages cannot be related to IncorrectAircraftCodes. If VMRGenerator sees an incorrect aircraft code, it will simply ignore it and make no matching rules for it. So it cannot be the cause of a matching problem in vPilot with respect to these incorrect aircraft codes

When I then opened FSX it started up with my usual default aircraft and location but when I chose one of the altered atc_model aircraft ( be the Majestic Q400) it crashed FSX (vPilot was not running).

You should only change atc_model types of AI aircraft, so the ones you will see if somebody on-line turns up with that type of aircraft (via VPilot). You should not change your own installed aircraft (not being AI-aircraft), i.e. the ones you fly yourself.

The title of your posts suggests that VMRgenerator made and edit and now FSX crashes, but in fact it was a manual change made by yourself, not one made by VMRGenerator. VMRGenerator does not change anything in your FSX installation. But again, I'm glad you were able to solve the problem.

Regards,

Nico Kaan

Nico Kaan

Developer: PSXseeconTraffic, ParkPosGenerator and AILGenerator

• 4 weeks later...
  • Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

Roger Curtiss 810159 wrote:

I was making an effort to resolve SimConnect messages I have been receiving for some aircraft models. I opened the VMRGenerator IncorrectAircraftCode.txt file and found a list so I went and changed the atc_model= codes on several of them."

The Simconnect messages cannot be related to IncorrectAircraftCodes. If VMRGenerator sees an incorrect aircraft code, it will simply ignore it and make no matching rules for it. So it cannot be the cause of a matching problem in vPilot with respect to these incorrect aircraft codes

Thank you for this explanation but if VMRGenerator has nothing to do with the SimConnect messages (and I do not for a moment question your [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ertion that it does not) there is the question of what, if anything, can be done to eliminate these error messages? I may have answered my own question by looking through some other posts.

It is likely that the aircraft causing the errors have been incorrectly identified by the pilot flying them in the flight plan type section-in which case I will have to...and can...live with it.

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

A pilot entering the wrong aircraft code will never cause vPilot to show an error. It will only cause an inaccurate model match.

The red errors happen when you have a model matching rule loaded that refers to a model that you don't actually have installed in your sim.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC