You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

A few Model Matching Questions

Ned Hamilton 1215492

Ned Hamilton 1215492
Posted
Posted

I've just started playing with Model Matching and have to say it's pretty cool. But I have a few beginners questions:

There are a lot of aircraft with different versions for engines (e.g. B777 with RR or GE engines). I really don't care what the engines are I just want to see the airline colors and logo. Can I just delete the WOA folder that contains one of the engine models and then adjust my Rule Sets? What I'm asking is will FSX get messed if I just delete a folder in SimObjects\Airplanes?

I can't see the WOA aircraft I have installed as an available Airplane to fly in FSX. I guess that's because the WOA models are just for AI traffic and not for flying, right?

And finally I fly VATSIM a lot around Europe among dozens of different airlines. If I download all the different airline model sets from WOA, with the multiple aircraft types, I'll have hundreds of new folders in SimObjects\Airplanes. Is there an easier way to get this done?

Thanks for any helpful info.

Ned

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
What I'm asking is will FSX get messed if I just delete a folder in SimObjects\Airplanes?

Nope, as long as it isn't instructed to create an aircraft using a model from one of those missing folders.

I can't see the WOA aircraft I have installed as an available Airplane to fly in FSX. I guess that's because the WOA models are just for AI traffic and not for flying, right?

Correct.

And finally I fly VATSIM a lot around Europe among dozens of different airlines. If I download all the different airline model sets from WOA, with the multiple aircraft types, I'll have hundreds of new folders in SimObjects\Airplanes. Is there an easier way to get this done?

With the automated download and installer, it's just a few mouse clicks to have all of the WoAI models. Thus, I'm not sure what you mean by easier. Can you elaborate?

For organizational purposes, I personally preferred segregating all of the WoAI models into their own folder (e.g. SimObjects\WoAI).

Ned Hamilton 1215492
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess by easier I mean not having to have different models for whether the aircraft has Rolls-Royce versus GE engines--who cares in VATSIM traffic. Also I'm worried about 10 airlines each with 10 liveries = 100 folders. Seems like that's going to be a drag on FSX.

Automated download and installer?? Where did I miss that?

Ned

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I haven't found that having lots of WoAI models installed is any drag on FSX. I think it's only when they're "flyable" models that each one adds to the FSX startup time. If I remember right, there's a utility you can download that converts all the WoAI models into non-flyable aircraft.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
Automated download and installer?? Where did I miss that?

Just to clarify, that's actually two separate utilities. WoAI publishes an installer, and within that installer you can select multiple .zip's to install them all in one go.

As for the downloading of all of those archives, Ross created another utility to manage that; see the following thread over in Pilot Talk: World of AI package downloader.

Ned Hamilton 1215492
Posted
Posted

Nice, thanks

Ned