You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VRC disconnection

Shehryar Ansari

Shehryar Ansari
Posted
Posted

This error came up today. When I log on as anything other than OBS (CTR/SUP/APP), VRC will log in but not show any traffic and then log off after 10 secs. When logging in as OBS everything works fine.

Any ideas?

Shez

Shehryar Ansari

VATSIM Supervisor

Shehryar Ansari
Posted
Posted
This error came up today. When I log on as anything other than OBS (CTR/SUP/APP), VRC will log in but not show any traffic and then log off after 10 secs. When logging in as OBS everything works fine.

Any ideas?

Shez

So I changed the POF file to an older version and it worked for a little while but then it is again back to the same behavior.

Shez

Shehryar Ansari

VATSIM Supervisor

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted (edited)

No other messages from VRC when it disconnects?

Did you try using the World sector and connecting somewhere other than where you were initially (I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you were using the ZLA sector file)? I've seen something somewhat similar once before... some pilot's client was spitting out something that caused VRC to either crash or disconnect (I can't remember which) without any indication as to what the problem was. I only discerned the likely culprit by limiting vispoints/ranges and gradually increasing them.

Edited by Guest

Shehryar Ansari
Posted
Posted

Let me try and connect again today by changing the ranges around. It appears to be a VRC.ini problem but I have not been able to isolate that as it works on the OBS. The World sector also has the same issues.

Shez

Shehryar Ansari

VATSIM Supervisor

Shehryar Ansari
Posted
Posted

Further tests reveal that the connection is made when the callsign is FSS or OBS but not CTR/APP/TWR. Also I changed to another connection and it connected on all modes. I reinstalled VRC as well. Very strange.

Shez

Shehryar Ansari

VATSIM Supervisor

Shehryar Ansari
Posted
Posted

OK so I am now able to log on as normal with CTR callsign only if I am logged in as an Observer. I am able to control the aircraft in Observer mode. Always thought that was not possible?

Shez

Shehryar Ansari

VATSIM Supervisor

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

It's possible, but it causes mixed results with some (all?) pilot clients... e.g. you either won't appear in the in-range ATC list at all or your radio range is severely diminished such that you quickly drop out of that list once they travel away from your vispoint(s).

I think the server-side enforcement on things like editing flight plans and starting tracks must look at your callsign suffix, but there's also some logic in pilot clients that can differentiate between an observer vs. an actual controller?

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

I believe it works off your facility type?

David Zhong

Shehryar Ansari
Posted
Posted
I believe it works off your facility type?

That is correct. And now I tested the internet connection from my laptop and the laptop VRC works as normal so the internet service provider is also not the problem.

So the problem in summary is,

I log on as LAX_CTR with the facility type Center (or Approach or Tower) and it connects with no traffic on scope for 10secs and disconnects.

I log on as LAX_CTR with facility type Observer and it connects normally and I can actually control.

I log on as SA_OBS in any facility type and it connects normally.

Shez

Shehryar Ansari

VATSIM Supervisor

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Note that unless you are connected with a valid suffix AND controller type AND have a primary frequency set then you will NOT show on the controller list available to pilots. The exception to this are Supervisor and Administrator connections.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg