You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

An update on 1.3.1 and the recent connection issues

Christopher Collins

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted

TL;DR: Yes, there's a bug in XSB's server list that may be causing you trouble. We're delaying the new release to fix it. Old versions will stop working. No planned support for X-Plane older than 10 at this time. There will be no support at all for X-Plane 8 or earlier. Let me know in this thread if you want X-Plane 9 support.

---- Details Begin ----

So, Kieran got in touch with me today about the server list issue that's cropped up and we've confirmed that there's a long-standing bug in XSquawkBox's server list support (since it's introduction in 1.0.5) which we need to resolve promptly.

As this is a complete showstopper for all users, 1.3.1 is going to be delayed again whilst we fix this. Hopefully this won't add more than a few days as I had been hoping to do the 1.3.1 release build this week.

I also need to make this clear, shortly after we have 1.3.1 out the door, versions of XSquawkBox older than 1.3.1 will no longer be able to connect.

This means if you're running an older version of X-Plane, you may find yourself out of luck.

As X-Plane 9 can still be purchased direct from Laminar Research, I may entertain producing an updated version for it if there is sufficient demand for it.

For a multitude of reasons, I will not be able to provide explicit support for X-Plane 8 or earlier.

If you need X-Plane 9 support, and there is a good reason why you cannot consider upgrading to X-Plane 10 (such as certification requirements, fixed based training simulator use, etc), please let me know in this thread.

XSquawkBox - Developer/Maintainer

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

Frank Martinelli 1316586
Posted
Posted

Chris

Good on you!

Will this fix my problem outlined in my post"lost connection with vatsim" a couple of days ago?

Btw, any news on having voice on CTAF frequencies?

Thanks for your great work

Cheers

Frank Martinelli

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted
Will this fix my problem outlined in my post"lost connection with vatsim" a couple of days ago?

Almost certainly. The timing suggests it was directly attributable to the bug we discovered.

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
Btw, any news on having voice on CTAF frequencies?

VATSIM policy does not allow this (as was confirmed in a post made in March of 2009), and there has been no talk of changing this policy.

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted
I also need to make this clear, shortly after we have 1.3.1 out the door, versions of XSquawkBox older than 1.3.1 will no longer be able to connect.

I actually need to correct myself on this one - older versions of XSquawkBox will not be able to connect using the Server List.

You will still be able to connect by manually entering a server's IP address. Methods for determining the server IPs is left up to the reader. I strongly encourage you update/upgrade if at all possible.

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted

1.3.1 (For X-Plane 10) has been released - please see here.

Please only post X-Plane 9 related matters in this thread.