You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Connecting to Vatsim using vPilot behind a Proxy Server

Manash Das 1324404

Manash Das 1324404
Posted
Posted

Hello,

The internet connection of my institute is accessed through a HTTP/HTTPS proxy on 8080 port. I set the proxy setting up on my computer (Win 10 - if that helps) and most of the applications just work fine. But, vPilot is not able to connect to Vatsim. It can't even fetch the server lists, so it is basically not able to access the internet at all. Same thing if I make vPilot use the proxy using softwares like Proxifier.

I have been doing lots of experiment on this to find out the solution. I can't use VPN as none of the VPNs I tried (Spotflux, CyberGhost, Surfeasy) was able to connect through the proxy server.

But, I got success to some extent by using TOR browser. Here is what I did:

* I connected to tor using tor browser (tor browser connects to internet through our proxy server)

* Used proxifier to allow vPilot use the tor network by making it connect to the tor local proxy server 127.0.0.1:9150

vPilot now connects successfully. Everything works regarding, aircraft model matching, ATC available list except the sound communication. I can tune to the ATC frequency and the frequency display at vPilot becomes blue. When I press the PTT button, the background turn blue but I cannot transmit or receive voice.

Please help me regarding this as I really want to use the institute lan as opposed to the very slow mobile network.

Thanks

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The voice data flows on different ports and uses UDP instead of TCP. Do you know if your proxifier solution can be made to handle that?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Manash Das 1324404
Posted
Posted

I think that the TOR network which I am using cannot establish UDP socket connections. I found using Proxifier, that when I connect to a ATC frequency, vPilot tries to connect to a voice server at 3782 port. Initially, there is an exchange of bytes, but then it stops even though the connection persists. This tells maybe that socket is not connected properly and exchange of voice does not occur.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

if you are trying to connect from a college connection, they usually block those ports. you would have to get the admins to unblock it for you (some will, many others wont)

3290 UDP (Voice communications, Must be forwarded through the router)

3782 TCP + UDP (Voice communications – generally no forwarding needed)

6809 TCP (Aircraft position updates and general network data Outgoing – generally no forwarding needed)

thats for FSINN, but shouldnt be too different in vpilot i would [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume

Manash Das 1324404
Posted
Posted

Ya, I am trying to find if the ports are blocked. Sir, can you please tell me how the sound exchange is carried out by the pilot client? I mean if any authentication is involved before the voice or any other protocol/procedure. I am actually now trying to find or make a utility software, that may allow me the UDP connection through all the proxy difficulties of the college internet. Maybe a UDP tunnel through HTTP. I am really keen to find the solution for this.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

There is no authentication directly with the voice server ... vPilot just doesn't establish or maintain a voice connection unless you have authenticated with the main VATSIM server first.

In addition to the port 6809 connection to the VATSIM server, vPilot also creates a TCP connection to the voice server whenever you join a channel, using port 3782. Actual voice data packets are sent on UDP port 3290.

Manash Das 1324404
Posted
Posted

Thank you for your reply Sir.

Actual voice data packets are sent on UDP port 3290.

Does vPilot becomes a UDP server and listens on UDP port 3290, so that voice server can connect to it as client and send the message?

Or

Does vPilot connect to the voice server like voice1.vacc-sag.org at port 3290 to exchange voice.

I don't know how I can byp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] my proxy server to be able to establish the communication, hence I am trying to relay the information between vPilot and vatsim servers through a middle man like another server online.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm not entirely sure how the UDP voice data flows from the server to the client. (I didn't write any of the VATSIM voice code.) But I have a vague recollection from past conversations with the voice developer that port 3290 is used on both ends. I'd have to do some packet sniffing to know for sure.

Manash Das 1324404
Posted
Posted

Okay, I did packet sniffing and found that vPilot establishes 3 connections.

TCP at port 6809: for all the traffic position, vatsim information, user authentication and aircraft position and state sync reltated stuff.

TCP at port 3782: for notifying the voice server when pilot tunes to an ATC frequency or when any other aircraft connects to that channel.

UDP at 3783: this is where simply the voice packets are being exchanged and nothing fancy. For the pilot to send voice, vPilot should be able to send the voice packets to the voice server through UDP at 3783 and to receive voice, vPilot should have the port 3290 opened for itself. Port 3290 is used when voice servers send voice to vPilot

• 6 months later...
Andrew Grey 1345811
Posted
Posted

I see this is an old post, but hopefully someone will respond. If not I will repost elsewhere.

I am having this problem also at my school. I contacted them and they told me they need the "plate numbers" so they may open the necessary ports.

Does anyone know what these plate numbers are, and can provide them for me?

Are these it, (mentioned above)?

3290 UDP (Voice communications, Must be forwarded through the router)

3782 TCP + UDP (Voice communications – generally no forwarding needed)

6809 TCP (Aircraft position updates and general network data Outgoing – generally no forwarding needed)

Thanks,

Andrew Grey

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted (edited)

Guessing they said/meant "port numbers" and there was a misunderstanding somewhere.

Either way, yes, those are the relevant ports and protocols needed... However make sure they understand that they need to not only open the ports (e.g. allow ingress/egress traffic thru the firewall on them) but to also port forward the first one (or support UPnP). Otherwise, you won't be able to receive voice comma.

EDIT: If you're using vPilot, you might want to refer to Andrew's list above since he suggests that 3782 is only used for TCP and that the outgoing voice data is sent via UDP on port 3783. YMMV for other pilot clients.

Edited by Guest

Andrew Grey 1345811
Posted
Posted

Big thank you. I'll forward that information.

AG

Andrew Grey 1345811
Posted
Posted

The school informed me that they were able to open the ports, and did so. I connected and it worked the first time, so I disconnected and plan to make a flight later.

I tried later and I got the same error. I guess it must be some other problem?