You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATC chatter is sometimes inaudible

Thomas Derbyshire

Thomas Derbyshire
Posted
Posted

Hey guy,

Bear in mind I am a complete newbie on vatsim and only completed one flight so far. However I have done a ton of reasearch around the order of things and what to expect from the controllers and vice versa.

My main issue at the moment is some of the ATC chatter is completely inaudible, I wonder how the hell anyone can communicate. I always ask for a radio check and get a "readability 5" response so I know I can be heard . So my question is what I can I do about it? im using the vPilot client if that helps. One of the controllers last night told me to untick the VHF option in the audio settings which I did. It made the audio clearer but not by much.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Thomas

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Is clarity the issue, or is it volume level?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Thomas Derbyshire
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Definitely clarity.

Cheers

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Are you using Wave or DirectSound? Try the other.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Thomas Derbyshire
Posted
Posted

Yea it was set to direct sound initially, changing to WAVE helped but I still struggled with the clarity. Any other suggestions?

Markus Schober 1328585
Posted
Posted

Thomas,

I wonder how the hell anyone can communicate.

had to smile - this was exactly what I wondered when I connected for the first time and was about to start a topic like yours back then.

However, meanwhile I learned that it is not always that bad.

The clarity of voice communication mainly depends on the following factors.

• Your equipment - a good quality headset pays off
  • Your and the controller's internet connection
  • The controller's equipment
  • The controller's pronounciation and care of speaking clearly
  • The controller's phraseology

Till today, I encountered a large variation of the latter four aspects, with results from perfectly understandable to impossible voice communication. What I also sometimes observe is that other pilots on the same frequency, but probably connected to other servers, are barely understandable, while your communication with ATC is good.

Also, it is a lot easier to understand a controller when you already know what to expect. You did your preparations in terms of phraseology for this, but you also may want to prepare charts like SID / STAR charts, so you know the names of the routes you can expect from ATC in advance. For the case that someone uses phraseology you are not familiar with, you can still ask for the message as text and learn from that for the next time.

Hope this helps - give it some more tries, and don't give up.

Markus

Markus