You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Unable to monitor a frequency and get ATIS

Jiong Sheng Hoo

Jiong Sheng Hoo
Posted
Posted

Hi all, been controlling for a while now, but I am experiencing this for the first time. I am not able to monitor the frequency of my student that I am mentoring, and not even able to get the ATIS to check his voice server and channel. I have verified with him that our voice servers and channels match, even made sure that we all typed lower case, but to no avail. However, another controller who is using VRC cannot hear that controller as well, but I can see only me and the latter in the channel on ES, without the controller I am trying to monitor. Tried changing multiple servers, didn't work Does anyone have any experience in this situation? Thanks in advance if you could help!

Hoo Jiong Sheng
Training Director, VATSIM Southeast Asia
VATSIM Network Supervisor
Member, APAC Regional Conflict Resolution Panel

VATSEA_LOGO.thumb.png.b4255c448f2d9aba5003ea3e90e71f05.png

VATSEA Website | VATSEA Discord

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Do the pilots hear him? The "monitor" functions of both VRC and ES are a bit unstable in my experience, so the better option (if you haven't tried that) might be to go in the com-panel and join directly there. If you are both transmitting and recieving on the same vox server and channel via the com panel, there should be no way he could communicate with pilots without you being able to listen in.

Jiong Sheng Hoo
Posted
Posted

There is the weird part, I cannot even get the "Get ATIS" function to work. I did go to the comms panel to connect directly, to no avail. Even other controllers online cannot do that, both VRC and ES users. Meaning even VRC users cannot monitor that particular frequency. Just verified that even pilots cannot hear him and vice versa. Guessing it's a problem on the connection of that controller then.

Hoo Jiong Sheng

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Yeah, that's definately something he'll have to sort out. Firstly, check for blockades on all software firewalls (I don't use software firewalls as a rule of thumb, they cause more headache than good as I generally know how to avoid web usage that requires them to be there in the first place) on the computer, then check router settings and/or forward the relevant ports.

• 2 weeks later...
Jiong Sheng Hoo
Posted
Posted

Firewall and AV all handled by Kaspersky Internet Security, and I guess I have to mention again it is only for that one particular station that I cannot monitor. No problems listening to other stations using different clients as well. At the time of posting this the problem is not occurring, which brings me to suspect the connection or setup of the client for that problematic station.

Hoo Jiong Sheng